PDA

View Full Version : My First Time

First timer
03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
My first year tapping trees, or should I say tree, my neighbors to be exact. I got about 10 gals and boiled inside since I have no evaporator. It took quite a while but i perservered and came out with 3 pints. Very tasty and can't wait for more!! OH!! I'm in Hazlet NJ! 7091

Spolcik
03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow! how did you get 3 pints from 10 gal. of sap.It takes me about 40 to get a gallon of syrup.

First timer
03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, like I said, it's my first time doing this so maybe I didn't boil it down far enough. It is a little thin but it tastes great! I got the temp up to 219dg then stopped. Should I have kept going?

valleyman
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
7.1 degrees above the boiling point of water on syrup making day.

Spolcik
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, like I said, it's my first time doing this so maybe I didn't boil it down far enough. It is a little thin but it tastes great! I got the temp up to 219dg then stopped. Should I have kept going?

No sounds like you did it right. Actually I read that wrong I was thinking 3 quarts. I used the temperature as a gauge last year seemed to work well for me too. I bought a hydrometer for this year. Good luck with the rest of your season! It gets adicting as it seems you already know! Best of luck!

Asthepotthickens
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Make sure the syrup sheets it should drop off a strainer in chunks type thing. My first time was a learning experience I thought I had syrup but I had very very sweet sap.

First timer
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the advice and kind words! I did have a hydrometer I was going to use but my mother in law didn't see it and BANG!:( right on the floor broken! I was so close to finishing too!! OH WELL! I guess thats why they say to always buy them in 2's! Lesson learned and my new hydrometer is on the way!! I think i may have one more batch in my future for this year then i will be looking forward to next year!! Thanks again to all who replied and keep on sugaring!!:)

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Good Job! That looks like some Yummy Liquid Gold!

happy thoughts
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM

possibly. You should have tested for the boiling point of water on your thermometer at the time you made syrup and added at least 7.1F to that reading. Some references cite 7.5 which probably brings it closer to the higher brix VT standard. What you really want to see is some sheeting from a spoon and not just dripping like water. Hard to describe unless you've seen it. 3 pints syrup to 10 gallons sap seems like a little too much yield to me. I'd expect more like 2 pints if that. But yield depends on the sugar content of your sap so it's possible if your sap was high in sugar. But if you didn't test with a hydrometer for correct density then I suggest keeping that syrup refrigerated. If it's light, it will spoil sooner or later as there won't be enough sugar in it to preserve it. That's the main reason syrup density is measured rather than temperature. Too light and you'll get spoilage in storage. Too thick and you get sugar crystals like rock candy. But that said, It sure looks beautiful:) Welcome to your new addiction! :)