PDA

View Full Version : cold weather tubing tool?

weekendboiler
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Do the double handed tubing tools work if the tubing is cold? Or are they mainly for use in warmer weather when I was supposed to put my new
lines up. Tried the hot water in a thermos but not real happy with the results.

village idiot
03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes.

They are pricey, but slicker than a trout.

unc23win
03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
The only time mine has failed me I had snow in the jaw and it slipped. That was the first day I used it and I had set it down. Now I don't set it down I made a holster for it.

weekendboiler
03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
is the deluxe model really $200 better than the $134 model?

Moser's Maple
03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
weekendboiler
go to the homemade equipment section and find the 2 handed tubing tool thread........great pics, and fairly easy build, and save yourself a pile of $
Jake Moser
Moser's Maple

Daves Maple Farm
03-02-2013, 05:25 AM
We used our new two handed tool in 20 degree weather ehile it was snowing...no problems other then a bit of shakeing from the cold!

maple flats
03-02-2013, 05:41 AM
The tool does not care what the temperature is, we use ours down to about 10 degrees. The only reason we quit then is that we get cold, or need to bundle so much that moving productively goes in the wind.
Yes, the $200 is better, but only you can decide if you need better. I have 4 tools, use them all but the pricier is lighter and has more mechanical advantage making the job faster and easier. At 500 taps I don't think I'd get the $200. In fact I only got one when I was over 1000 taps. If you however have plans to get much bigger you will likely want one someday. If you are young and strong, that might be a long way off. I was in my mid sixties before I bought mine, and I now appreciate the better leverage the pricier one has. It means I can use it more hours before needing to rest.

maplehillbros7179
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
yes they do its just a little harder to work on line when its cold.

sugaringman85
03-03-2013, 11:33 AM
The deluxe tubing tool was one of the best buys that I ever had for sugaring. It took much of the aggravation out of fixing older tubing that had been strectch a little over the years. Only thing I don't like is the cutter that is on the one I have. Doesn't work as well.

MillbrookMaple
03-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Another option is what we do. We used a propane torch when putting lines together. Just be careful to not get the tubing too hot. You can hold the flame quite a bit away from the pipe and it warms right up and you can put fittings on by hand when the pipe is nice and warm.

maple flats
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
using heat will often result in leaks. The tubing does not like to be heated. If trying heat be carefull not to get hot enough to ruin the elasticity of the tubing.

Big Buck Acres
03-06-2013, 05:10 AM
While installing a few lines in cold weather the other day , I was using one of those instant hand warmers held tight around line for a couple seconds. They last for hours and are much easier to work with than a thermos of hot water, or torches.
They are about $2.00 each and can be purchased at any sporting store, simply remove from plastic package give a few shakes and presto, instant heat.