PDA

View Full Version : beer keg evaporator..... ITS SCARY

deerslammer
03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
I was getting too much humidity in the house from evaporating all the sap that has been flowing. I collected about 16 gallons yesterday and decided to build some sort of evaporator for outside use. I'm using a turkey fryer base its like 140k btu (sounds like a jet engine) and a beer keg from the local distributor. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the top. I added 8 gallons fridge cold sap to start and it was up to 140 degrees in about 10 minutes. Its boiling so hard i can't see the liquid level. So anyway hope this can help someone out. Or if you have any ideas as to what i can improve on please let me know. I'm trying to post pics.
thanks
Dave
in s.e. PA.

DonMcJr
03-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Neat Idea. I just wonder if that Keg is Aluminum. I was told not to Boil Sap in Aluminum. I don't remember why but I'm sure someone here will chime in that knows...

deerslammer
03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
I checked on that with the high temp. and aluminum having a link to maybe memory loss. wait i forget what i was going to say. anyway kegs are stainless now.

TerryEspo
03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
I love it !!

Maybe it will be the next outfit to make the news. The neighbours won't think its a meth lab, but maybe they will think your making your own beer !! :lol:

Get ready for an official visit !!:o

Nice job !

Terry

deerslammer
03-01-2013, 07:27 AM
:lol:It holds 15.5 gallons the wife has her eye on it for some sort of seafood boil. going to have to clean it good after that. the neighbor is a cop. hopefully he doesn't think i'm up to something illegal.:lol:

DonMcJr
03-01-2013, 07:35 AM
If it seems like it's taking a long time to boil something shallower and more surface area will evaporate faster. You'll have to lose the cool beer keg look but this is what I started off with on a Turkey Fryer Burner...

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/22006/p1354823.aspx

Ausable
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Dave - You are on Your way and at step 2. ---You have moved from the Kitchen. Being a Backyarder is Fun as You get to experiment -- A Lot ---. As most of us have done - You will continue to enlarge the surface area you boil on to become more and more efficient - till You go from Batch Boiling to Continuous Flow Boiling. At some point You might reach a level of maple syrup production you are content with - (Yep! 500 gallons of Maple Syrup is enough for family and friends) - Then again you may not. I would keep my Syrup making equipment (pots - pans etc.) - separate from my cooking pots and pans. Soon You will have a Sugar Shack full of Your Maple Syrup making hobby stuff and thats if you stay a Backyarder. ------I'm not event going to get into Commercial Producers - They have a fortune invested in this Insanity we call Maple Syrup Making. ---Main thing is ----Keep it Fun.... ----Mike---

Ausable
03-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Dave - You will hear all kinds of stuff - No matter what you use. Main thing with Aluminum is to clean it up good after the Season. If You let maple syrup sugar residue sit in the keg till next year - the sugar will have a chemical reaction with the aluminum and eat holes in it. LOL - I know - I was careless with my favorite pot and ruined it. ------Mike-----

Ausable
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
I checked on that with the high temp. and aluminum having a link to maybe memory loss. wait i forget. anyway kegs are stainless now.

That's good deerslammer. I always thought my Memory Loss was caused by way to much Beer Drinking in my mis-spent youth - not from the containers it came in. I heard that if you consume products from stainless steel your skin becomes super shiny and you reflect light. LOL - Hey! It's possible! LOL ----Mike---

Z/MAN
03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
That beer keg is stainless as are all kegs these days.

Mdot76
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I have heard that some kegs are coated on the inside to keep beer fresh.
I would like to use a keg to finish in but am not sure if this coating would be heat proof.
any thoughts?

deerslammer
03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
I asked at the beer distributor and they said they weren't coated. When i opened it up the inside looked and felt like the outside no coating found. I scrubbed it with barkeepers friend and then soap and hot water. It cleaned up well. I just wish it had a larger surface area so it would evaporate quicker.

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I just wish it had a larger surface area so it would evaporate quicker.

Get another one and cut it lengthwise and get some firebricks to stableize it and another turkey fryer...:cool:

deerslammer
03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
I think cutting it lengthwise is a good idea. i might try it.
thanks

Revi
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
If you cut it lengthwise you can put two next to eachother and double your boiling. Then make a rack to put them on and build an arch with a vent pipe and you have an evaporator. You can use wood and save yourself a lot of money. You can even dip the almost done syrup into the front pan and add sap to the back one. You'll cut your boiling time down a lot, but then you might want to add more taps. Welcome to the insanity!