PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Handles for Boiling Pan

Mattbchillin
03-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Do you think that galvanized handles for the boiling pan will be safe to use? I have read about galvanized metal leaching cemicals and is not food safe. The handles are 4" and actual part that touch the pan are 3/4". Im not sure how hot the pan can get. I got 3 pans ready to go and my buddy brings me the handles i told him NOT to get. I m at home till monday and i have a bunch of sap the needs to get done. I have young kids and so do many of the people getting the syrup.

Is it safe?

Bucket Head
03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
The handles are not going to be in contact with the sap/syrup, correct? What are your pans made of and how are you planning on fastening these handles to the pan?

If their not going to touch the liquid, than you have no health problem. Although welding galvanized metals gives off harmfull fumes. Disimilar metals will corrode when in contact with each other. In time, those handles would look bad on a nice stainless pan, in my opinion. But..., its hard picking up pans with no handles at all.

Steve

Mattbchillin
03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Thankfully I was able to get out to the store before is closed and got the handles i needed. Im ready to start cooking :)