PDA

View Full Version : Good sap gone bad?

Indiana-Jones
02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi, I have for the first time this year put about 50 taps on tubing. The mainline drains into a 300 gallon stock tank. It has been close to a month that I have been storing sap in this tank. When I pump it out I can't get the last 10 gallons or so out. We have had a big run here this week and I just when down to the tank to check out the level. Well it is almost full. I ran my hand across the top of the sap and scooped up some greenish slime. It has been cold here and ice has been in the tank more often than not.
I have not ever had slimy sap before. So the question is do I dump 300 gallons of sap or drain the sap from the bottom and boil Saturday as planned?

G&D MapleSurgaring
02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Just curious to know why you stored the sap for close to a month? You usually want to boil the sap with 48-72hours after collection.

Indiana-Jones
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I have boiled the sap every weekend. When I pump out the tank up the hill to boil there is a little bit that won't drain. I'm definitely going to dump out the tank this weekend and wash it. I have not washed the tank in a month, but I have emptied it.

325abn
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
How does it smell? I have seen cloudy sap but never sap with slimy green. I say if it does not smell rotten, skim the slime off boil the hell out of it and enjoy it yourself!! :) :)

Indiana-Jones
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
It doesn't smell. I guess I will see what it looks and smells like Saturday morning.

lpakiz
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Chris,
Boil it. You can always do something with it if it doesn't turn out, but I think it will.
I wash my bulk tank every couple days when the temps are warmer. As I've said before, "wash with sap and rinse with sap"
I use a bulk tank bush available at the farm supply store. You just need to agitate the thin layer of buildup and sap will rinse it away. Very easy to do right after pump out. Can you salvage a few gallons of leftover sap for the rinse?

Indiana-Jones
03-01-2013, 06:14 AM
I'll keep this iffy sap separate from what has come from the buckets and bags. Boiling it last, than we will clean the tanks and start over.

Thanks Larry. Have you started up north yet?

lpakiz
03-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Nothing at all that looks like sap weather here in Central Wisconsin.

Indiana-Jones
03-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Larry, the sap turned out OK. Saturday I took the cover off the tank and skimmed the top of the sap and there was not much slime to skim.
The weekend turned out pretty good, this was the first time since we have had the new rig that we have had a big load of sap to boil. 10 AM to 4 AM, a 18 hour boil.

PS. The filter box that I ordered from your friend worked great.