PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between refractometers?

Zamkev
02-28-2013, 12:45 PM
So, I see simple analog sap refractometers(not digital) for $200 and I see seemingly similar simple sap refractometers for $20. Why is this? Are some brands that much better than others? Are some easier to read and calibrate than others?

What am I missing?

thx for any insight.

Allan Limoges
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
I bought a digital refractometer for $200.00. Works fine for me. Next is a digital thermometer. Any recommendations?

Tweegs
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
I’ve seen refractometers for as low as $100, but never so low as $20. A sap hydrometer on the other hand…

The expensive one, in layman’s terms, you look through an eyepiece to check the specific gravity, the cheap one is glass, has weight inside, and sets in a cup of sap. Specific gravity is checked at the water line. Basically, fancy, and not fancy.

For a digital thermometer, you could use a PID controller and RTD, both available from Amazon. Together, they will run you about $40. With this, you are one valve away from an auto draw-off.

The PID+RTD is very fast and resonably accurate.

Zamkev
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I’ve seen refractometers for as low as $100, but never so low as $20. A sap hydrometer on the other hand…

Here is the $20 refractometer... http://www.amazon.com/0-10-ATC-BRIX-REFRACTOMETER-Coolant/dp/B000K312Q8

Is this any good?

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
So, I see simple analog sap refractometers(not digital) for $200 and I see seemingly similar simple sap refractometers for $20. Why is this? Are some brands that much better than others? Are some easier to read and calibrate than others?

It is an optical instrument. It's sort of like binoculars, where you can pay $20 for a cheap pair, or $2,000 for a great pair. Cheap refractometers are probably not quite as accurate, the temperature compensation might not be as good, and they probably won't be as robust. But at that price, might be worth a try. The nice thing about analog refractometers is they never run out of batteries. That said, we all use the Misco digital refractometer here at UVM PMRC. Great instrument.

Tweegs
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Here is the $20 refractometer... http://www.amazon.com/0-10-ATC-BRIX-REFRACTOMETER-Coolant/dp/B000K312Q8

Is this any good?

Wow, no kidding, I stand corrected.

And I paid $100 for mine. :lol:

For $20 I don’t know how you can go wrong. Even if it isn’t dead on accurate or temp compensated, it beats the snot out of a hydrometer, at least I think so anyway, not quite so fragile.

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Is this any good?

This is just like the one I purchased on ebay. I've been playing around with it and it seems to be decent. There is a chart enclosed with the refractometer so that you can make the necessary adjustment to compensate for the temperature of the sap. Not hard to do. I'm only a backyard sugarer, so I'm just looking for some guidance gauging which sap is worth evaporating. If I get a lousy run of .5% sap this handy little device will alert me to that fact and I'll save myself the time and aggravation of wasting time and propane. After this season is over I'll have a better appreciation of how it held up.

lafite
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
I spent $30 on mine. it is dead on compared to my sap hydrometer. Great tool which came in a padded box with extra pipettes. good weight to it as well.

I found it on Amazon

steve