PDA

View Full Version : Center draw-off syrup pan (idea)

saekeaton64
02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
I have been thinking today about the pans I plan to build for next season and after reading thought various post, I have found that a common problem is that sap turns into syrup in the center section of a Syrup Pan before the final section. This forces the operator to draw off and re-add the almost syrup, pushing the finished syrup into its correct location.

I was thinking that instead of fighting the system; why not make a pan where the draw-off is in the center. I know that this poses a problem with being able to reverse the flow to reduce niter build up. But it may be an idea to think about.

The design is similar to a standard divided syrup pan; there are divided channels to set the gradient. The main difference is that instead of the standard 3 sections, the new pan would have 5. The outer sections are connected by a sealed channel allowing the newly entering sap to start on the outer ends of the pan and work its way to the center.

TerryEspo
03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
I never ran a divided pan, but have read here about syrup in the center. That has me happy to "batch".

I think your new pan idea is great if the middle of all pans makes syrup before the last section. Almost seems like a fault of didvided pans.

I will watch this post and see what I learn.

I like your idea.

Terry