PDA

View Full Version : Can sap run- Sunny Day, just below freezing ?

TerryEspo
02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
I am wondering if my trees are in the sun, temps just below freezing,just a touch, like -2C or 30F,, sun melting snow all around, tree trunks warm, your jackets off,,,,you get it.

What we call a real nice day, just not HOT out for a spring day, but sunny and calm.

The tree I feel, with act like it is ABOVE freezing and release sap. Am I wrong ?

My trees seems to be giving sap (minimal) as I check test holes and it is NOT above freezing outside ????

Can you tell I am anxious to tap my darn trees !!

Terry

bowtie
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
i think the barometric pressure plays a big part in sap flow along with temps, but if the tree is exposed to the sun at 30-32 degrees it can run but i would not expect much. microclimates can cause some bushes to run and others to clamp tight.

happy thoughts
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I've seen it run on an exposed tree in an open location when temps were only in the high upper 20's on a very sunny day. But like bowtie said, don't expect a significant flow, but yes, it's possible.

TerryEspo
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys....One more question.

I have brand new disposable 5/16 clear health spiles, new proper tapping drill bit for clean holes....How long does a hole stay open for? Some have said I may be tapping too early and may miss later runs next month ???

Thanks.

Terry

Pibster
02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
6 weeks is the magic number.

happy thoughts
02-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys....One more question.

I have brand new disposable 5/16 clear health spiles, new proper tapping drill bit for clean holes....How long does a hole stay open for? Some have said I may be tapping too early and may miss later runs next month ???

Thanks.

I think there's some truth to what was said about tapping too early on the type of taps we're using for buckets. Temps also have a lot to do with it and I live in a warmer climate than you do but I feel lucky if I get 5 weeks out of a tap. I noticed a definite decrease in flow in older taps as they approached 3-4 weeks old last year when I split my tapping and put half in early because the winter was so freaky here. By the time I added more taps about 3-4 weeks later, the first taps were giving up a LOT less sap than the newer taps with everything else being about equal.

Terry[/QUOTE]

ennismaple
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Terry - The sap will run in the sun when the air temp is just below freezing. The dark bark of the tree seems to attract more heat, causing the tree to thaw slightly.

Shawn
03-01-2013, 02:47 PM
It sure is weird how it goes. Some of our trees were running yesterday and the ones way outback where they are higher had not. Started to rain some here yesterday and its like someone turned the faucet on, pipeline opened up and the rest we have with buckets started to run. 28 degrees last night with eight to ten inches of snow still on ground, we collected today for the first time and collect 125 gallons. Sugar content about one and a half nearly two. Frist boil tomorow, still running as I type this:cool:

motowbrowne
03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
We have a powerline easement at the back of our property in the sugarbush. The trees on the North side of the lines get a lot of sun because of the large clearing. On a day in the mid twenties with lots of sunshine those trees run hard. They are some of our best producing trees. Often we will empty them first because the buckets are getting full then do the rest of the bush and by the time we are done, we will have to empty those fifteen buckets again. Many have 2 or 3 taps running together into a 5 gallon bucket. Sunny days sure are nice too.

Dave Y
03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Sap will also run of the end of an icicle at 32deg on a north wind