PDA

View Full Version : Brix - hydrometer - sugar content

Adammp1
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I just found a hydrometer that reads from 0 to 30 brix. How/can I use this to measure percent of sugar content of sap? What I mean is how do I convert the Brix reading to percent sugar content?

happy thoughts
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I believe 1 brix is = to 1% sugar.

happy thoughts
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I should have added that it sounds like you may have a hydrometer for beer and wine making. It may be scaled differently than a true sap hydrometer in that the gradations on a sap hydrometer may be easier to read between points on the brix scale. I can't tell you for sure since I don't have one but I do know that sap hydrometers come in two lengths and the longer length is easier to read for that reason. Someone that measures sap sugar will come along sooner or later with the info you need to say if the hydrometer you have is good for your purpose.

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
The sap refractometer that I purchased measures brix in increments from 0-10. That makes it much easier to read because the spacing between the lines is wider. I purchased mine on ebay for just under $30, and shipping was free. You can use what you have but it will be slightly more difficult to read the low brix measurements that would be expected for sap because the lines will be much closer together. Each measure of brix represents 1% sugar. Use what you've got and see if it works for you. If it's too hard to read, then you know to go to Plan B.

Run Forest Run!
02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd like to resurrect this thread to rave on about the refractometer I bought last year. I had such a great time using it to test all of my sap from different trees, and to also test the sugar content in the sap after removing the ice from the buckets each morning. It measures brix from 1-10% so it's much easier to read than ones that go higher up the scale.

If anyone (especially those of us new to the syrup cartel) wants to invest a very small amount of money to have even more fun playing around outside I can't recommend this item enough. I ordered a second one to give to a friend of mine to make sure that he has no chance of ever recovering from this addiction. Another friend bought one last year after seeing mine, and was thrilled with it.

This seller is awesome. Free shipping and VERY fast turnaround. I just received my second one today after ordering it February 5th. Fifteen days ahead of schedule. If you are interested, here is the link to the one I'm speaking of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231157961168

sweeteffinsyrup
02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
"If anyone (especially those of us new to the syrup cartel)"---That's funny stuff! Excellent diction Karen! I bought a sap hydrometer last year and had fun with it too.

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2014, 12:47 PM
This seller is awesome. Free shipping and VERY fast turnaround. I just received my second one today after ordering it February 5th. Fifteen days ahead of schedule. If you are interested, here is the link to the one I'm speaking of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231157961168

Note too that this refractometer is has Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC), which is fairly important, unless you want to compare only within a narrow range of temperatures, or you want to correct each reading for temperature.

Big_Eddy
02-28-2014, 01:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Honey-Refractometer-Tester-Bees-Beekeeping-58-90-Brix-Baume-with-ATC-/231166559693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d299c5cd

Would this work for syrup? Same Vendor, ATC, 58-90 Brix

Rangdale
02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Karen, thank you for the link and the recommendations! I was looking at them on Bascoms site but didn't want to pay $100, never occurred to me to look on Ebay. Ordered today and hope it will be here soon!

Yellzee
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
been debating this for years... just ordered this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-MA871-Digital-Refractometer-0-85-Brix-/271324524806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c33b106#ht_1216wt_1362

hopefully everyone agrees it should work well for testing syrup!

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Honey-Refractometer-Tester-Bees-Beekeeping-58-90-Brix-Baume-with-ATC-/231166559693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d299c5cd

Would this work for syrup? Same Vendor, ATC, 58-90 Brix

It should be just fine as brix are brix regardless of whether they are in jam, syrup or honey etc. :)

dblact38
02-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Your right Karen, My boys & I had alot of fun with the refractometer comparing different sugar levels in the buckets with ice and the sap without the ice. A good learning experience they brought to school with.

Gary

maple marc
02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Dr. Tim,

I note that the ATC indicates a minimum of 50 degrees F. Does that mean if my sap is 40 degrees it won't read properly?

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I note that the ATC indicates a minimum of 50 degrees F. Does that mean if my sap is 40 degrees it won't read properly?

It will be off slightly if you use it outside the specified operating parameters. One of the primary assumptions of a refractometer is that the sample being measured is isothermal with the instrument. So if you are measuring hot syrup, you'll need to wait a little while until the syrup cools off and the refractometer warms up. If you put hot syrup on the glass and then immediately measure it, the reading will be off.

Yellzee
03-03-2014, 12:50 PM
I ordered one of the SAP refractometers .. same link as on here and it says it is coming by hong kong post sometime between March 14 and April 1....Based on Karen's good luck, hopefully this turns out better than it sounds at this point and it shows up right away

did anyone check out my link on the digital Milwaulkie version to see if it looks like I ordered something that works.!!

Rangdale
03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I ordered one too and found out after the fact it was coming from Hong Kong and would be a couple weeks. Found the same one in New York for the same $ and it will be here on Thursday! Figured having two wouldn't be a bad thing as I'm sure I will manage to break one!

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
There are several maple equipment dealers in Maine that have them in stock and no shipping fees also helps other maple dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ittiz
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
been debating this for years... just ordered this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-MA871-Digital-Refractometer-0-85-Brix-/271324524806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c33b106#ht_1216wt_1362

hopefully everyone agrees it should work well for testing syrup!

So you've been debating for years buying a product that costs about the same as a dinner at one inexpensive restaurant?

Yellzee
03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
This is the electronic digital version I am talking about, not the one Karen posted originally. With shipping it's 153 $ for syrup "nice to have", yep been debating it for years. Think I will end up paying 20-30 in duty as well. (The ones advertised for syrup are usually 3-400)

If you knew what I meant and think 200$ is a drop in the bucket for a good hobby I would love for you to call my wife!

nymapleguy607
03-04-2014, 05:30 AM
It should be just fine as brix are brix regardless of whether they are in jam, syrup or honey etc. :)
Brix is Brix but you want to make sure that the scale is tight enough to get a good reading. I would make sure that the scale was broken down to at least 0.5 brix.

lpakiz
03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
".......... think 200$ is a drop in the bucket for a good hobby I would love for you to call my wife!" [/QUOTE]

Now that should be part of your signature line. GOOD ONE!