PDA

View Full Version : Transfer pumps

Flat47
02-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I was just about to buy this little stainless utility pump (Little Giant model - I think from Harbor Freight, found it on eBay) to transfer sap from the storage tank to head tank and then read the pumps use interval "15 min on, 45 off." That's not going to cut it. What do others use?

David in MI
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
If you only need 3-4 gpm, this pump may fit the bill. I picked one up and haven't used it much but it works very nicely in my application. It's 12v but you can opt for the AC adapter for $5. http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html I started a thread on potable water pumps and someone else posted another place to purchase the pump. The other link is on page three of that thread.

lisound
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I've never seen it posted, but why not using aquarium pumps? I keep saltwater reef, and I would drink from water pumped through them without worry. Just a thought.

spencer11
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm using a hydroponic pump, they are oil less and most say they are food grade. They are submersible but don't pump all the way down to the bottom the the tank, there is typically 2 or so inches left unless you can tilt the tank

bearair
03-01-2013, 02:15 PM
We have been using this same pump from Harbor freight for the last 3 years. We use it to pump 55 gallon drums into a holding tank. The tank inlet is about 10 feet above the pump, the pump takes about 10 mins to pump out one 55 gallon tank. We normally have three barrels to pump at a time. So the pump will run for about 30-40 mins nonstop, as we just pull the hose out of one drum and quickly place it into the next. So far we have had no problems.

motowbrowne
03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
There's a bigger hombrew pump from march manufacturing that does up to 17 gpm, which is quite a bit faster. I found them for 292$ from Tesco in North Carolina. Also, Chugger pumps makes a knockoff of the smaller 10gpm march pump for a pretty good price.

http://www.tescopumps.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://chuggerpumps.com/

Twindadx2
03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Does anyone have an idea for an inexpensive electric pump to transfer sap from 55 gallon drums for a small backyard operation? I normally hand bomb with 5 gallon buckets from the 55 gallon drum onto the atv and to where I am going to evaporate at the house. It's a bit of a pain and cannot tilt the drums because I have them packed in snow to keep cold. I was wondering about a sump pump or an aquarium pump. The sump pumps are on sale at tsc here in Ontario this week. 1/2 hp for $34 i believe.

Snowy Pass Maple
03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Twindadx2 - I use an Aquatec 550 series pump. You can get them in 12V to run right off your truck. Mine is rated just over 5 gal per minute in open flow and while I haven't measured it exactly, it's got to be in that ballpark. They are easily found in the $100 range online - just note there are many varieties of 550 pumps with different power source options, and different flow/pressure capabilities.

I'll tell you why I went with this type - if some of these considerations are not important for you, there are of course cheaper options.

1. This is a food grade pump intended for drinking water applications.
2. It can self prime on the suction side a few feet - for example, you can draw water up out the top of a 55 gal barrel even starting with a dry pump. So I don't worry about fittings freezing at the bottom.
3. It also has strong pressure output so you can pump up as well.
4. Out of the box, many models run off 12V power so you can take it with you - I use it to pump from a dump station back to my truck.
5. Energy efficient - typically well under 100W of power
6. No gas engine noise and maintenance - I can be stealthy when collecting near some houses. I figure if people don't know I'm there, they will be happy to let me continue tapping!
7. It can run dry - one less thing to screw up and forget when you're running around the woods!

Note that as the output pressure increases, if you're for example pumping uphill, the flowrate will drop, and current draw will go up.

If the bilge pumps were food grade, I'd try those and just dunk in the tank and they'd be a really nice cheap solution.

If I was using 200+ gal pickup totes, I'd probably go with something larger/faster.

maple maniac65
03-02-2013, 10:37 AM
cast iron water pump on ebay $25.00-$30.00 free shipping. Behold it has a bronze impeller been using it for 10 years. Maybe I should spend $150-250 and get a stainless one to comply with future rules.

steve J
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I bought a pump from Lowes that they use to pump water in there fountains or ponds. This is a submersible pump.

325abn
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
How does it work Steve? How high are you lifting your sap?

steve J
03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
They have defferent sizes but I attached a 3/4 clear hose to pump and lowered it to the bottom of the tank this hose comes out of the tank and runs about 8ft to sugar house and enters the back wall just abouve the Feed tank for evaporator total lift probably 6ft but I think the pump was rated for around 18ft lift.

325abn
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but is it true that lift is lift no matter the run/distance?

So 6Ft of lift directly above the source is the same as 6ft of lift over a 40 foot run.

spencer11
03-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but is it true that lift is lift no matter the run/distance?

So 6Ft of lift directly above the source is the same as 6ft of lift over a 40 foot run.
Yes I believe that is correct, that is the 'total head' for the pump, it will be a little less then the stated if the run is long compared to a short one because of the friction between the sap and the pipe. My mom works in water treatment and does a lot with pumps so I've had this explained to me many time, it gets very confusing sometime

Super Sapper
03-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Lift is the distance from your liquid level up to the pump and head is how high you vertically pump the liquid. The length of the run and the number and types of fittings will add to your "total" lift or head, so longer distances will add to your lift or head loss.

spencer11
03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Lift is the distance from your liquid level up to the pump and head is how high you vertically pump the liquid. The length of the run and the number and types of fittings will add to your "total" lift or head, so longer distances will add to your lift or head loss.
With his submersible pump it doesn't suck up liquid through a hose, so I think by lift he means 'total head' with a pump that would suck sap through a hose and then push it after it has gone through the pump, when it would suck it to the pump would be lift and after the pump would be the head

Jeff E
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I use submersible sump pumps. For the 'heavy lifting' transfer from out in the woods to the sugarhouse, I use 3/4 horse, all stainless flowtec pumps. They have been very reliable. For moving sap from outside bulk tank storage, or from gathering tanks into bulk tanks, I like the 1/3 horse all plastic sump pumps. The cast iron pumps rust in time, so I have been avoiding those.

The 3/4 flowtecs move sap 1000' up 20', in a 1" line.