PDA

View Full Version : New tubing in the woods - Rinse it first???

Flat47
02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Just hung a bunch of new tubing. Do I need to rinse it before collecting sap? Or, is it good to go?

spencer11
02-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Is ready to go

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Just hung a bunch of new tubing. Do I need to rinse it before collecting sap? Or, is it good to go?

No need to rinse. With new tubing you will notice a strong plastic smell and off-flavor on the first few runs. It will last into the boiling, but by the time it is syrup, the smell and taste are gone.

not_for_sale
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
So what's in it that evaporates while boiling?

Flat47
02-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Is ready to go

No need to rinse. With new tubing you will notice a strong plastic smell and off-flavor on the first few runs. It will last into the boiling, but by the time it is syrup, the smell and taste are gone.
Thanks, guys. I was hoping that was the case. Dr. Perkins, I'm glad you included the heads-up on smell and taste. I would have been pulling my hair out and dumping good sap.

SeanD
03-06-2014, 07:50 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU, for this thread. The sap from my new tubing has a very strong plastic smell and I was panicking. My older tubing had a slight odor, but it has gone away a bit. It had never had any kind of smell before.

If people ask, what should I say the smell is and how can I assure them that it is not affecting the syrup?

Sean

DoubleBrookMaple
03-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Good to know....

I got the same thing from some new 5gal jugs I put sap in.

Sugarmaker
03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
We changed 600 drop lines this year and after two runs the sap still smells like plastic??? The first run syrup also seemed to have a plastic taste. I didn't think this was from the tubing but it was the only things we have changed. Unless this is a early metabolic flavor?
Hopefully the syrup flavor improves we may not get much this year.
Regards,
Chris

DoubleBrookMaple
03-30-2014, 02:22 PM
I was thoroughly convinced my poly containers were the culprit until I finally pulled the mainline out of my 275 gal tote and put it in a glass. Very strong taste to me!
I had dragged my tote down, and cleaned it again last night in panic. Today I tasted it and was very discouraged until I discovered the source.
Very greatful for all the threads on this.