PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Tools

ibby458
05-18-2006, 05:53 AM
As I continue to plan for putting in tubing, I realized that I need something to put the stuff together. Hot water worked for the pail drops that I made last spring, but it's nothing I'd want to do in the woods.

What do I REALLY need, and what's just nice to have? The catalogs are not real informative, nor is my local dealer. Since all the tools seem to be over-priced, I'd hate to buy something I don't really need, but neither do I want to handicap myself by not having something that I DO need.

Right now, I'm only planning on drop lines and laterals - all 5/16. I'll worry about mainline tools when I get closer to putting in mainlines.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Can't beat a two handed tubing tool for puting drops in lateral lines and almost a must or something similar for repairs. I have never used a mainline tool and don't really have a need for one. :?

maple flats
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Brandon is right. Get a 2 handed tool. Either type works and the cheaper unit works good, unless you are doing thousands in minimal time I would not suggest the parallel type, just extra money to do same thing. This is the only tool I have to assemble tubing. also, the automatic set vise grip pliers type might be handy but the manual set works just fine. I also never use a mainline tool. I used to use fittings that needed you to cut mainline to add in but I find the saddle type easier and faster for bringing in 5/16. When you need to join the main with a coupling or tee I find it works good to slightly warm 1 side only with a propane torch just a slight bit and push with your hands, then clamp. If you warm it on all sides it collapses when you push together making assembly impossible til you cut some off and try again. use good ss clamps for holding for either a coupling or tee or any other where you inserted a fitting. I keep insert fittings to an absolute min because they leave a ridge for micro organisims to hide and are harder to clean. I particularly like the fitting called a "record multi fitting" which runs 1- 5/16 line into the main and are avail for 3/4" and 1", maybe others. I use a hole punch to cut a hole and then clamp the fitting on with grove joint pliers. Check old posts also, someone said they had good luck just pushing the 5/16 into a tight fitting hole in main and another in same thread used a fitting on the 5/16 and pushed the barbed end into a tight fitting hole in main. I have not tried these but if they work you save a lot of $. I think the record fitting I use is about $2.20 for 3/4" and you use one every time you join a latteral into the main. Plan your system out, usually it is cheaper to have more main line (in blk plastic) than to run more length in the 5/16. I went to a seminar by Glen Goodrich about installing tubing layout and design, well worth the time because you will save time and $ in the bush with the training he gives. Others might do similar training too. I put up my first tubing before the training and would have saved a lot if i had trained first and system also makes more sense when designed after training unless you are just doing a single line of roadside trees which is pretty straightforward. Back to the tools, they do seem way over priced but unless you can copy one and make your own they are worth it.

lew
05-18-2006, 05:47 PM
If you're using the old soft tubing you can get away without a tubing tool, just warm water or chew on it a minute to soften it up. If you're using the rigid tubing, then you really should have a tubing tool. I have a parallel one that works great. I not only use it when installing new lines and repairing old lines, but also to make the droplines. When you get in a groove, you can install a lot of droplines in a hurry. My personal best was 800 in one day, a long day, but a productive one. I wouldn't want to install tubing without a tubing tool ever again, they just make life a lot easier, and more productive.

Russell Lampron
05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
One of the things I learned along time ago repairing cars is that you have got to have the right tool for the job. You lose alot more in man hours than what you pay for the tool trying to make something else work.

Russ

brookledge
05-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Russ
I agree with you I thought spending over 100 bucks when I bought mine was alot of money but they last forever and the time save is unbelievable plus you can put up or repair in any temp.
Keith

davey
10-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Does anyone have any used ones for sale?

Jim Brown
10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Davey; I know the water thing can be a pain sometimes . Here is what works for us. We take a quart themos and take out the stopper. Get a 'cork' that just fits the top and drill a 5/16 hole in it. Make a clip that will let it hang on your belt and don't fill clear full. When you need to make a connection stick it in the water for 5-10 seconds and it will slide together fine. If you need to make a main line connection take out the cork.. This works for us.
Also we take along a second thermos and keep it in the truck or 4 wheeler so when the first one gets cold we dump it and refill with hot water.A good note is to make sure the water is BOILING when you put it in the bottle
This works for us
hope it helps
JIm

sweetwoodmaple
10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Jim - I use the same method, but a word of caution using the 30P rigid tubing - When the water in the thermos is almost boiling, you can hold it in there too long and actually cause the tubing to deform enough to become weak once it's on the barb fitting.

The tubing tool eliminates this problem, but costs some major $$ for us small producers.

Fred Henderson
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Yep, how well I know about the major bucks. I bought the 2 handed one. I didn't like the price and when I firet started to use it it felt akward, but I kept praticing , getting better every fitting that I put in now I couldn't do without it.

chipa
10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Used the hot water method for making up drops in the house a couple of years ago (Darveau semi-ridgid tubing) Alot of these leaked vacuum and had to be redone in the woods with a tool. No more hot water for me.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I like to save money as much as the next guy but I have invested in a 1 hand and also a 2 hand tubing tool and wouldn't be without either. The maple guys have a 1 hand for around $ 60 give or take a few $$$. With laterals that are stretched tight and have a squirrel damage or something else that needs repaired, the 2 hand tubing tool is awesome. :) With proper care, either of these should last a lifetime and one of the few things that are worth the investment.

maplehound
10-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I borrowed a one hand tool from a fellow producer, showed it to a niegbor who has a welder and we made one up. Just split some long nuts ( not sure what they are really called) ground out the threads some welded them to a pair of vice grips, added a forked piece ( we made up) to push the fitting on. Works as good or better than my buddies tool. Now I would like to make a 2 hander.

ibby458
10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
The long nuts are called coupling nuts, made for joining threaded rods together. Some of them have a "stop" halfway, so the rods are joined by an equal amount. I wouldn't think they would work as well.

I think I'm going to try to copy one. So far, I've been able to make anything I want. (Except girl children) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Sappy Steamer
10-24-2006, 06:14 AM
The tool seemed real pricey to me as well, so I was using hot water for installing fittings. When I went to buy more tubing, the dealer told me to be sure and avoid heating the ends of the newer tubings because it would shorten the service life due to cracking right at the fitting. The man didn't know I was heating mine, but could have been trying to sell me a tool. I had absolutely no reason to suspect that though,because the man has gone way above and beyond to give me pointers and save me money.I ended up buying the tool and would not be without one. It would be easy enough to make one if you have the equipment. In fact the one I own looks like someone made it in their garage. As far as the mainline tool goes, I saw no use for one. Your gonna have enough stuff to carry along

maplehound
10-24-2006, 07:42 PM
A good idea if you need to join mainline and don,t have a tool and the tubing is under some tension or at least tied up tight, is use a ratchet tie down and 2 hose clamps. Run the straps along the pie on each side fastend with the hose clamps ( helps to knot the staps so it won't pull past the clamps). Then ratchet the pipe together. It works great if you keep the clamps that hold the straps close to the end ( within 8- 10 inches) other wise it won't stay straight.
Ron