PDA

View Full Version : Where to get bottles

bowhunter
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
This is my first year and I'm out of bottles. I got mine from a supplier up in Michigan. Does anyone know if anyone here in central Ohio sells them?

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Dont feel that you must use standard syrup bottles if you are having trouble finding them. You can always do just fine with Mason jars and they are available everywhere - you may even have some in the house already.

MoCoFarm
02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
I just got some extra tubing from Erlsten Bros. in Mt Gilead. I plan on getting some bottles from them as soon as I get a chance. http://www.erlstenmaple.com/Buy_Maple_Syrup_Containers.htm They are easy to work with.

BTW, I read here about lots of taps on one small tube on a steep slope, so I tried it this year. I'm in Morgan Co. in SE Ohio. I have 300 or so large sugar maples on a steep slope. I have only used bags and buckets in the past and could only get to a few of the trees from a logging road that winds up the hill. So I taped about 45 trees going in a zig zap up the hill used about 400' of tubing in about 100' of rise. Seems to be working great. I can pull a tap half way up the hill and and the vacuum is so strong it whistles. Best flow so far is 7 gallons per hour.

SevenCreeksSap
02-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Fitch Pharm Farm in Ashland also. I get them there but usually have trouble trying to call first. the phone number that comes up when you google it seems to just ring.

bowhunter
02-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys. I knew there had to be some place in Ohio to get bottles.

Karen,

Thanks. I was considering canning jars, but my wife's kind of partial to them. We may still do that anyway.

This forum is awesome. I've had a 2-3 questions over the past week and have gotten responses in a few hours.

Thanks to everyone.

Pweideman
02-28-2013, 09:06 AM
I buy a lot of wholesale packaging for my regular business and so far I haven't beat SKS pricing unless I order directly from China which I won't do.

These are standard syrup bottles and the 8 oz bottle is less than a dollar. Buy the bulk bottles and add the caps, not the bottles that include caps. Make sure you match the proper neck size when ordering caps.

Good luck,

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin48f.html

Paul

Spolcik
02-28-2013, 09:46 AM
sugarbushsupplies.com has 12oz bottles with caps for $9.50 = $0.79 apiece. 8oz $8.50 for 12 = $0.71 apiece

JBUTCH2450
03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Erlsten Bros carries all sizes of sugar hill plastic bottles. Also has a foot assortment of glass available. He has regular store hours and easy to work with. We buy all ours from him. Plus, he has a neat display of other items for sale.

bowhunter
03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I got mine from sugar bush supply last year and they definitely have the best prices I've found. We put today's output in mason jars.

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I got mine from sugar bush supply last year and they definitely have the best prices I've found. We put today's output in mason jars.

Any pictures of the finished product bowhunter? We'd love to see them.

MJCP
03-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I had the opportunity to go to Sugarbush yesterday. I am lucky that I pass near them on my way to work.
GEEZZ! They have everything. And best of all they are really nice people. I recommend them Highly. Buy anything from them just to get their catalog.

bowhunter
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry Karen. Did see you post until today. I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I can say it's not nearly as pretty as yours.

RileySugarbush
03-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I had the opportunity to go to Sugarbush yesterday. I am lucky that I pass near them on my way to work.
GEEZZ! They have everything. And best of all they are really nice people. I recommend them Highly. Buy anything from them just to get their catalog.

I agree completely! We have purchased from Sugarbush Supplies for years, even though we are way over in Minnesota. Great to work with.