PDA

View Full Version : How long can the syrup set in the pan between boils?

miner1
02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
How long can the syrup sit in the pan between boils? Just started this year with a hobby evaporator i'm used to doing batch boils. I boiled yesterday and left it in the pan. Its been around 32 deg up here. I'd like to leave it for a few days, as the run has slowed with this storm and unsettled weather.
Noah

DrTimPerkins
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
How long can the syrup sit in the pan between boils?

Typically it can be left for several days, or a week or more if it is cold. Later in the season, as it gets warmer, it can't be left quite as long as it might turn ropey. At that point it is good to fire up and boil every now and then for a short time to kill the microorganisms.

The other issue that is of bearing is lead. How old is your evaporator? Welded or soldered?

bees1st
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
My syrup / sap has been sitting in my pans for almost 10 days. Mostly frozen. As long as it's cold, no problems.

jstaples
02-27-2013, 07:47 PM
So you can actually just leave sap/syrup in the pan and just walk away for a few days??? Here I am trying to hurry and get every last bit out of my pans even taking the time to clean the pan each time I use it. Am I just putting too much work into it?

backyard sugaring
02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Make sure you cover it or you may have some critters enjoying your sap/ syrup. Good luck, Lee

beltechc
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Do I have to worry about the sap/syrup freezing solid in the pans and crushing or splitting the flues in a raised flue pan. It still getting pretty cold here during the night.

Ed R
02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Beltechc I put a chicken heat lamp under my 2x6 when it gets to the 10-13 degree range. You will be there this weekend.

beltechc
02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
If it stays in the 20's for a couple days and nights won't the sweet still freeze in the pans? If so doesn't expansion take place in the ice that can damage to the flues in the pan (My flues are pretty narrow)?

Ed R
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
In the 20's you have no problems in the low teen's I start to worry and put in the heat lamp. If it gets down to around 0 I drain the evaporator, better to be safe than sorry.

PerryW
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
If it stays in the 20's for a couple days and nights won't the sweet still freeze in the pans? If so doesn't expansion take place in the ice that can damage to the flues in the pan (My flues are pretty narrow)?

I have let my flue pan freeze rock solid dozens of times in the last 25 years. I always make sure and boil it down pretty low (less than 1" above the flues),and I've never had a problem. The flues are actually pretty flexible and when the ice forms, it just bows them out a little.

Daves Maple Farm
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I put a small ceramic heater in my firebox set just above low...close the door and let it work. Doesnt come on often with door shut...oh plug it in...lol