PDA

View Full Version : 2X4 arch 1 week build

sams64
02-27-2013, 01:28 PM
So I decided on Sunday that I wanted to build a real arch instead of using concrete blocks this year. Sap is running so I basically have 1 week to get it up and running. I lucked out and found a angle iron frame that had been discarded at the shop. The dimensions were not perfect, but close enough so I used that for my starting point. Last night I added some legs then framed out the fire box and ramp.

At lunch today I cut almost all of the flat plate. The plasma cutter is my next best friend. Cutting 16 gauge steel is as easy as cutting paper with a razor blade (this is not exageration).

I should mention that I have made about 5 welds in my life previous to this so I am kind of winging it. Wire feed machine is pretty easy, almost like working with tricky holt melt glue.

Tonight I am required at home for dinner so it will have to wait until Friday until I get back at it. Pics to follow.

Sam

sams64
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Got most of the panels welded on last night. I will get this finished up, fabricate the door and insulate tonight.

That will leave me the stack and blower for Friday and I should be ready to rock and roll this weekend.

Sam

TerryEspo
02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
PICS, PICS, PICS....

Way to go Sam, I made my own arch too for this season, never welded much before this arch, some but not much.

Hope you have some pics of the build as you went along.

Terry

Troutman10
02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I've had some thoughts dancing in my head lately about building an evaporator (I just built a simple fuel oil setup). Very interested in seeing your newly made setup when its done. I'm not a welder, but know some people with equipment and could learn. Is welding a tough trade to learn? About how much $ do you figure you will have in your new evaporator once everything is done? Just interested in the different between making one and ordering one...any help is appreciated. The pride in a self-built evaporator is a positive to making one. Anyways, looking forward to pics too!

sams64
03-01-2013, 09:20 PM
It's finished. The welds aren't pretty and it's not 100% airtight, but its ready to boil. I need sleep.

Trout an. I've probably got less than $100 bucks into the arch, but, that does not mean most people could do the same. I had to buy most of my steel and a couple of hinges. The heavy for steel the door I salvaged from drops in my company's fab shop. I had some 1.5" 10lb ceramic refractory blanket and I am using red bricks that I have on hand instead of firebricks. The materials I had on hand plus access to a very good welder, plasma cutter, and all the other tools I needed kept the cost low for me.

As for learning welding as a trade it is very tough. Being able to stick two pieces of metal together with a welder so they stay together that is not all that hard. It helps to have people who know how to weld to help you with the basics. Getting your welds to look good just takes time to develop the feel for the materials and tools. I have not spent enough time welding to develop that yet.

I also already had a pan so the cost was for arch materials only.

Sam

sams64
03-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Well I boiled on it today and know what I got right and what I got wrong. I was running low on time and just made a flat plate door out of 3/16" steel. It warped and I lost a lot of heat out the front with the air on. I think I can fab up a door that will be framed with 1.25" angle and match up to a 1.25" angle frame around the cutout in the firebox. If I can make this up as a bolt on addition it should be a real easy fix.

Besides that it boils pretty darn well. Rates today were between 12 and 15 GPH. Probably close to double what I did with the same Paton a block arch.

Sam