PDA

View Full Version : I won't be tapping trees this year...

Eric in Kinburn
02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
2013 didn't exactly start the right way for us. On January 23rd, my parents were involved in a serious car accident. Unfortunately my dad died in the accident and my mom got seriously injured. Mom is still recovering from her injuries and should make a close to full recovery eventually, but it will be a long process. So as you can imagine my brother and I have been spending a lot of time with her along with dealing with everything else and therefore I will not have time to participate in this year's sugarin' season.

I've decided to write this here because my dad is very much the reason why I love nature, why I love spending time in the woods and ultimately why I got into making maple syrup. I expect to be back at it next year. In the meantime I will be following the forum to see how the season progresses.

Please share and enjoy the special moments with your loved ones. You just never know when this great journey will come to an end.

Happy sugarin'

jasonl6
02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Eric. We have a father/son/grandson team and i got teary eyed reading your post. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers this maple season.

Jason

DonMcJr
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Sorry for your loss Eric... Hope your Mom and Family heals in time over such a Tradgedy.

highlandcattle
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
So very sorry to hear this. I lost my mom Oct. 2011 at 90 and I still miss her terribly. Be there for her and I hope you all pull together during this time.

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Eric, what a tragic beginning of 2013 for your family. You are in my thoughts. Wishing your mother continued strength and recovery.

Shawn
02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
So sorry to hear your news Eric, Take care of your mom and know that down the road your father will be looking down from that big sugar house smiling on you and your brother, hang in my man.:(

KV Sappers
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

heus
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Just know that your dad isn't truly "gone." He will be with you every time you walk your woods, tap a tree, light your evaporator, etc.

sugarman3
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Iknow how you are feeling,living 35 miles from my surg'in operation and dad 500ft from it,he was everything i could ever ask for,he would call countless time to tell me"YOU BETTER GET DOWN HERE,SAPS A RUNN'IN".He has been gone 5 yrs now ,and his coat hangs on a nail beside the evaporator,along with a photo of him in front of the sugarhouse,he is always watching over me,as well as your father will be,thoughts and prayers with you and your family

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Eric, thanks for sharing your story. I hesitate to reply to this post, but felt important to share that it really made me appreciate family. See my father and I don't always see eye to eye. And though I have a difficult time communicating with him, I greatly appreciate that he has given me my love for nature and especially for making maple syrup. He stopped sugaring after the loss of a grandchild 10 years ago He walked away and never returned to the sugarhouse. I picked it up 4-5 years ago. And now he is in town visiting from AK. I think I will try to get him to the sugarhouse and spend more time with him while he's in town. After all, we do never know what tomorrow has in store. I am very sorry for your loss and best wishes to you and your family. The trees will be waiting for you next year.

TerryEspo
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Tragic story Eric, very sad.

The loss of a parent is a terrible event that eventually we all must deal with, there is never a good time.

I once heard, if given the awful choice.... Every parent would chose to have their kids attend the parent funeral, not the other way around. No parent EVER wants to go to their childrens funeral, it not even natural.

My thoughts are with you, very sorry for your loss and grief.

I hope you speak of your dad everyday,,,,I do.

Terry

gmcooper
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hoping your mom will continue to make a full recovery. Yes the trees will wait till your ready.

sweeteffinsyrup
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. I know it's not easy talking about that kind of thing. I lost my father to a car accident back in '96. Having said that I still can't come up with the words to say. It's just a downright awful feeling that time and prayer will heal. You have an extended family right here that will be praying for you everyday.

Maple Hill
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Sorry for your loss,I know what you are going through.

spud
02-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Eric,

Sorry to hear about your dad. The decision to focus on your mom and not on sugaring is the right one. The trees will be there many years to come but our loved ones may not. May God comfort you and your family through this very tough time in your life.

Spud

Bruce L
02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Eric,so sorry to hear about your loss.We have been having a tough time here also,we thought last spring would be the last one for my Mother,she has said goodbye numerous times,then rallied back around,just when you think things are going well,she takes a turn for the worse,your mind is so locked in that you cannot concentrate on anything else.Our prayers are with you,I understand what you are going through.
Bruce

maplehillbros7179
03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
so sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well

Revi
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
We'll let you know about sugaring, and you will be back to it next year. So sorry to hear about your loss.

Eric in Kinburn
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks everyone. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Eric

cvmaple
03-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Very sorry to read this. Hope a bit of time heals the wound and there is always next year.