PDA

View Full Version : Sap flow by tree size and location

bowhunter
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
This is my first year and I wondered if what I'm seeing is normal.
1. My smaller trees are more reliable producers. I assume it's because they can respond to temperature changes more quickly than the larger trees. Not sure if this is normal?
2. I have several trees with their feet in a small stream and they haven't really produced much at all. I am thinking of not tapping them next year. Is this the right conclusion?
3. I have a few mid-sized trees that were flowing when I tapped them. The taps are on the south/southwest side and I can't see any evidence that I'm in bad wood. However they have never produced much sap to date. Will it be different if I tap them next year?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Ed R
02-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Wait for a full seasons production before coming to any conclusions. Even then there are year to year differences on the same tree. As a rule larger trees out perform smaller trees in both sap volume and sugar concentration over a whole season.

happy thoughts
02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
What Ed R said. I'd also add that the species of maple may have some influence. Some people find red maple to be erratic and unpredictable sap producers on gravity. On vaccuum it's a different story. I've seen the same said about silvers. What kind of maples are you tapping?

bowhunter
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
They are all sugar maples. I marked them in the fall before the leaves fell so I could do a positive id. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to be a little more patient.