PDA

View Full Version : slow week

alsappo
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
put in 32 more taps for a total of 257. collected 60 gal. off trees for week.:( boiled down 60 gal + previous 160 gal, all in evaporator waiting next boil. put in 14 more taps while collecting, total now 271 taps. had 2 trees did not produce one drop, so pulled them and tapped 2 other trees.

DonMcJr
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
SOunds about right. For us not on Vaccum we haven't got much sap and a good flow hasn't happend yet...

Don(MI)
02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Still have not tapped yet.

Talked with dad last night, and we are thinking March 6th or 7th according to the weatherman. Hopefully the last cold snap will be out of its system. Looks like daytime freezing temps will set in about friday for 5-6 days.

In my opinion, being that last year we tapped on Feburary 18th and had an earlier year, it has me wanting to put taps in. But, with temps. like these and few 'ideal' sap flow days, I am glad we did not. It does not feel like tappin weather just yet, in my area anyways.

I need to look at the past years calendars, but my initial guess is that we usally tap the first week of March.

Too Tall
02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
It's been slow over here. Early on there were two days back to back that I got full buckets both days. Then the cold snap set in for the last few weeks. The last two days, I collected about 6 gallons off of 12 trees.

On a side note: How long can you store sap in this weather? I have some from a couple weeks ago that is basically still one big block of ice. I have another 18 gallon drum that has about 9 gallons in it (half of which is ice). Is it good to sit like that as long as there is ice in there?

Cake O' Maple
02-27-2013, 10:30 PM
On a side note: How long can you store sap in this weather? I have some from a couple weeks ago that is basically still one big block of ice. I have another 18 gallon drum that has about 9 gallons in it (half of which is ice). Is it good to sit like that as long as there is ice in there?
It's fine as long as it has that much ice in it, and the ambient temps aren't likely to melt the ice and warm it over where it should be.

As an example, last year I froze 1-2 gallon blocks of sap to keep my 30-gallon storage barrels cool towards the end of the season, and in that horrid warm-up we had, I was putting 2 blocks of ice in each barrel 2-3 times a day, and what I pulled out to boil was still as clear as it was when I put it in. I use propane and boil in double-size hotel pans, and was trying to keep up with online-charting for my work as well, so I was inside on the computer til I had to add more sap. I'd fill 2-3 5 gallon buckets in prep to just dump it in when I went back to check the pans, and go out 1/2 hour later and the sap in the buckets would have yellowed in that time, but the iced stuff in the barrels was still clear when I took more out.

It makes me wonder how fall sugarers do it!

alsappo
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
collected again today with my bucket brigade, (volunteers willing to help) and got another 120 gal. of sap, boiled down and finished 2 gal. of syrup. Still waiting for the main run. fyi, i'm west of bailey and east of muskegon.

alsappo
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
collected again today with my bucket brigade, (volunteers willing to help) and got another 120 gal. of sap, boiled down and finished 2 gal. of syrup. Still waiting for the main run.

jimmol
03-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I have another 18 gallon drum that has about 9 gallons in it (half of which is ice).

Last year I let some of the sap free and drew of the remainder of the sap. The sap showed 3.5 to 4.3% and the ice had .2 to .8 sugar content. If you don't mind loosing a little it will make the boiling go faster.