PDA

View Full Version : Norway Maple sap turns cloudy when boiled

P.J.
02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
This is my first post. This year I decided to tap a large Norway maple that I have in the back yard. The sap I have collected so far has been clear. I reduce the days collection by about 2/3 to store for when I have enough to start making syrup. I am having an issue...if it is an issue. I filter the sap and then boil it. Once I start boiling the sap it turns cloudy and when I let it sit for awhile I get a layer of white sedimentation on the bottom of the container. Is this normal? What is the white sedimentation? I haven't been able to find any info on this issue. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

happy thoughts
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
It sounds like niter- sugar sand- dissolved minerals in sap the precipitate out. Some sap gives off more niter than others even from year to year and even boil to boil. You can either let it settle out and pour off the clear portion or filter it out before bottling. You'll need the right kind of filter specially made for syrup which can be bought from any maple supply house. If you're thinking coffe filter that isn't going to work.

Good luck and have fun this year!

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't worry P.J. Your Norway Maple sap is just fine. I use Norway sap in my blend and all you are seeing is niter. It will give a covering of white on the bottom of your container while you are boiling, but you'll catch that when you filter or when you let it settle and then decant your syrup. Have fun!!

P.S. Is your sap running today? It's still snowing here even though we are above freezing...

P.J.
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sap was running today. I notice that the sap from the Norway will start flowing around 0 Degrees C. Yesterday I collected 1.6 L. Today so far I think around 1L from a single tap on a single tree. The tree is large enough for 2 taps, but I want to ease my way into it.

Michael Greer
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I tap a bit of every kind of maple...Sugars, Reds, Silvers, and a few Norway maples. Each tree has it's own habits it seems, and the silvers are hardly running at all so far. The Norways are filing the buckets though.