PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned pan and have off taste

Millers Crossing
02-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Hello all,

First time posting...sorry it is after our first burned flue pan !

I cleaned the pan, just the tops of the flue pan burned. I cleaned it successfully with muriatic acid and then dumped 2 extra large boxes of baking soda in the pan and triple rinsed the pan. I did not take the pan off the arch , but filled and emptied, filled and emptied etc.

There are small bits of black that just didn't get out, not alot mind you.

So we started boiling again and the partially cooked syrup has a slightly off taste.

Should I have gotten every last bit of the flakes out of the arch? Could it be residue?

Thanks for any responses!

nymapleguy607
02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
I've never heard of using Muratic acid to clean the pan. I would think thats causing an off flavor I would say you need to clean it again with something like baking soda and maybe try boiling just water in the pan and rinse again.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-27-2013, 07:15 AM
I agree, I would clean again. I clean with white vinegar. Heat water in the pan and scrub into the flues a little to get out any residue from the Acid and Baking soda. Then rinse again. Good luck

Millers Crossing
02-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Do I need to take the pan off the arch?

If there are black flecks left in the pan could they cause the problem?

happy thoughts
02-27-2013, 07:27 AM
I agree with jeff. You didn't say what your pan is made of. If stainless then muriatic acid was the wrong thing to use and from what I just read should never be used on SS because it can cause corrosion and black staining that looks like scorching. Most sources I googled said muriatic acid should never be used on stainless at all. Many also suggest never even using bleach because it too can corrode SS.

This site gives some advice on removing muriatic acid stains from stainless.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4922724_remove-stains-stainless-steel-sink.html

Hope this helps. Next time use something more suited for stainless like vinegar and a warm or even hot soak, bar keepers friend or what some people use here borrowed from the dairy industry- milk stone remover. I'd start with the least harsh solution that does the job first and work up.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-27-2013, 07:31 AM
No need to take pans off. I suggest heating the cleaning/rinse solutions for better effect which would be hard to do if pans were off.

Bruce L
02-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Might also help to use a wet vac to suck out last of the solution between washes/rinses

axe
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Hope this helps. Next time use something more suited for stainless like vinegar and a warm or even hot soak, bar keepers friend or what some people use here borrowed from the dairy industry- milk stone remover. I'd start with the least harsh solution that does the job first and work up.
I am guessing that you do not use the milk stone remover straight from the bottle. What dilution do you use? Do you heat the pan and to what temperature? How long do you let it soak?

maple flats
01-23-2015, 11:07 AM
When I use milk stone remover, I use the amount on the label. I mix it with water and then heat it to just barely over what I can hold my hand into. Then I let it set about 30 minutes, brushing lightly each few minutes. Be sure to wash your hands well if you test by sticking your finger in the hot solution, I use a neoprene glove.
If I have a bad burn, I alternate between milkstone remover and white vinegar, but most often it is good with just the first application.