PDA

View Full Version : I am getting rain in my chimney.

Friar_Athanasius
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I have a stainless chimney and I am having a problem with rain getting onto the stack base and rusting it out (it is not stainless). I have a cover on the stack and it seems to me that rain is leaking into the joints that connect the sections of chimney together. The female end of the joint is facing up with the male end going into it. Is there a hign-temp calking or something to put on the joints?

wiam
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Your pipe is upside down

Clarkfield Farms
02-27-2013, 07:32 AM
^--- Ditto. Don't read anything into this or the wrong way, but it's the only way to say it -- female section end on top of male section end. No water leaks, and smoke doesn't readily escape along any seams on its way up and out either. :D

Bruce L
02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the pipes are upside down,but also depends on fire official there.Around here they have determined that pipes must be installed female end up,male down so that creosote will nut run down outside of pipes,but rather stay in the chimney.Another too high paid official that reads codes and doesn't think logically

Friar_Athanasius
02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
I think the reason they were installed that way (I didn't do it) is that for a regular wood burner the creosote would drip downward through the chimney and leak out the joints but that doesn't seem to be an issue for a maple arch because of the high stack temp.

Clarkfield Farms
02-27-2013, 11:11 AM
I think the reason they were installed that way (I didn't do it) is that for a regular wood burner the creosote would drip downward through the chimney and leak out the joints but that doesn't seem to be an issue for a maple arch because of the high stack temp.

:) bingo! :)