PDA

View Full Version : High Sugar Content

hodorskib
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
This is my 13 year making syrup and each has been an adventure. This year I am trying sap bags and so far I am really liking them. I have had them freeze solid with over 2 gallons and not one has split or come off the tree. A nice surprise is how high the sugar content has been. Normally the trees I tap run an average of 1.5% but so far this year I have been averaging 2 1/4% which is very nice. I just pulled my first batch of very light syrup 3 gallons on the dot. Everything is boiled off all the ice is gone from the bags and hopefully this rain won't slow things down. Hope everyone else is doing well.

markct
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Has been great sap flow lately even my gravity lines are doing great! Glad i got a bigger sap tank for thd truck this year, went around and gathered 650 gal today i plan to boil again tommorow just didnt want my tanks to overflow before i could get to pump them in the afternoon

hodorskib
02-27-2013, 07:14 AM
I figured things were flowing well for you I haven't seen you tap out the lines near your work yet. Hope this continues:lol:

markct
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
This week i plan to tap there, i will be at the shop late while the decal guy letters my new stainless sap tank for the truck since it needs to be done inside in the heated garage. So while he does that i figure i will run around and tap them. The other afternoons i been rushing home to start the ro!