PDA

View Full Version : More taps in Imlay City

Pweideman
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I added another 18 taps late this afternoon just as it started to sleet. I tapped the big silvers on the edge of the road in front of my farm. It's a southern exposure. At least half the taps started running before I could get the spiles in. Within 15 minutes I had a quart or more of sap among 5 bags. Some of the trees have three taps and they all started running. The trees in my woods that are mostly northern exposure ran a little bit since yesterday but nothing compared to the roadside trees.

36 total taps in silver maples. I am done tapping. Will see how much I get with 36 taps. Hope the silver maple sap is good.

My first year.

DonMcJr
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I have Silver, Sugar and Reds and the Syrup is yummy! Just Silvers supossedly have less sugar content so you have to boil more...

Pweideman
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
I read that silvers have less sugar than reds and sugar maples but I also read that tapping silvers on the roadside or southern side of a stand have more sugar and produce more sap than other silvers. I presume it has to do with exposure to the sun during the warmer months.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
I read that silvers have less sugar than reds and sugar maples but I also read that tapping silvers on the roadside or southern side of a stand have more sugar and produce more sap than other silvers. I presume it has to do with exposure to the sun during the warmer months.

Whenever my sap finally decides to start running, I'll be testing my silvers for comparison with other types of maples I tap. I'm really curious about this.

Pweideman
03-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Whenever my sap finally decides to start running, I'll be testing my silvers for comparison with other types of maples I tap. I'm really curious about this.

Thought I was done adding taps but no. Added 20 more on my roadside trees. Got an average 2.2% sugar off my road trees yesterday. Ordered a refractometer today so I can measure individual trees. Total of 61 taps in silver maples. I have 22 more taps to go. Looks like my farm can handle 225 plus taps. Did a count yesterday.

Paul