PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

clydefrog
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
We're tapping today!

I'm drilling my holes 2" deep on my 16" trees and sap is pouring out like crazy! I just drilled the same depth on a 24" tree and it's barely dripping...do I need to go deeper on bigger trees? Help!

Floyd4th
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
in my opinion no. depending on recent temperatures and current temps, a smaller dia. tree will thaw quicker and run sooner than a larger one. there is alot to figure in here too. geograffic location, temps, age and health of the tree. i would drill them all the same depth, just make sure your not drilling too close to an old tap hole.

Oddmott
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I have no science to back it up, but I've always been told/taught that sap flow is greatest in the tree's new-growth (ie: outer layers) so tapping deeper than the suggested 2"-2.5" into the "old wood" won't provide any increased sap flow.

clydefrog
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
thanks for the quick response guys...this "internets" is a real lifesaver out in the woods...turns out i think the tree we were having the issue with is less healthy than the others...we drilled a second tap and the wood didn't look as light as it should...i think that tree'll get a rest next year...drew off seven gallons of sap from 16 taps this afternoon!