PDA

View Full Version : what if??

bowtie
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
ok, so i know alot of "old timers" will say this is going to be a normal year but what if the forecasters are right and mid-march thru april warms to above average temps and the season,at least in the northeast, is very short. how will this affect the maple market if at all. it would be two years in a row of below average production, at least south of the border. i know there are huge reserves of syrup but it seems it would "tap" into , no pun intended, them. it really doesn't affect the smaller hobby producers but i would think some of the bigger places would feel it a little. here in ny you may have tapped early and had some early runs but for the places that have waited it looks like at least until march 10th things will be slow. i think the "average" season goes until what, early april maybe mid-april, and you cannot count on runs everyday. i maybe being pessimistic but i see a very short season unless things change quickly. how many times do make syrup in late april or early may, i would think that at least here the sap would go buddy from the increase in daylight.?!? how unusual would having 2 consecutive below average years be??