PDA

View Full Version : How quickly does maple sap go bad?

JEHardy01-Ohio
02-26-2013, 08:38 AM
This is my first attempt at collecting sap and making syrup. On Sunday, I tapped a single tree and connected a hose to a 5 gallon bucket. My property is about 2 hours from where I live so I am not able to collect sap on a daily basis. I am wondering if I need to be concerned with the sap going bad between Sunday and Saturday when I can return to collect it.

DonMcJr
02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Temperature is the big key to it going bad. If you get days that are hot all week it could be a problem. I'm new (2nd Year) and haven't even smelled bad sap but from what I hear you will know.

Them 5 gallons buckets will be overflowing in a week when the run is going good!:cool:

TerryEspo
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
If you are able to bury the 5 gallon buck in snow (if you have snow) that will buy you some time. Make sure the bucket is in the shade also. No sun on the bucket. If your night time temps go to frezing, even better.

As Don Mc Jr. said, you will see cloudy sap and funny smell if its bad.

Good luck.

Terry

bigschuss
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
As a hobbyist I collect sap all week like you and boil on the weekends. I keep my 40 gallon plastic storage tank in the shade and buried (or at least surrounded) by snow. Have never had a batch go bad in 7 years. If you get some ice in it at night even better, as it will keep it cool.

JEHardy01-Ohio
02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I couldn't believe how fast the sap was flowing when I tapped the tree. Looking for some larger containers. This will give me a reason to get to the cabin more often in the cold months...

smokeyamber
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
A good run will fill a 5 gallon bucket in 2 days easy. Bury a larger container in the snow and you should be fine. Welcome to the addiction :D

psparr
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I gave a couple taps to a buddy who wanted to try sugaring. He tapped first week of January and collected for a month and kept the sap in a five gallon bucket in his garage. I wasn't aware he wasn't boiling it. He called me up and asked if he could come over and boil. I told him the sap would be spoiled but he insisted. He got here and to my surprise it wasn't yellow! I figured though the sugar content would be low to nothing. Boiled it and ended up with a pint of medium to light. That equates to 2% sugar! Not sure what to make if it but was surprised nonetheless.

DonMcJr
02-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I couldn't believe how fast the sap was flowing when I tapped the tree. Looking for some larger containers. This will give me a reason to get to the cabin more often in the cold months...

If you get the Maple Bug as bad as most you're gonna wanna live there from February to May...:lol: