PDA

View Full Version : new line hung up and full of sap... need help

hitnspit
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
ok so we hung up a bunch of new line yesterday and found today that the lines were full of sap. Some drops have sap halfway up the drop. 24" drops. Now it looks like some lines need to be snugged up. They seem to have drooped down a bit. not the same slope as when we put them up less then 24 hours ago. SO will the sap push through or should we snug it all back up. Seems to be flowing just fine at the collection tank just does not look like its flowing well in other places.... Ok so if any understands anything i just rambled about please help...lol

spencer11
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
You could tighten it up if you want, might make a small difference. But as long as its down hill it will flow

hitnspit
02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
some line did droop so its a U looking line. So we will tighten them up and hope it stays that way.

DonMcJr
02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I've had to cut and tighten mine twice since I tapped Feb 8th. All tight now though!

Yellzee
03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
if you are just gravity I find it common to have sap sitting in the drop line. Doesn't affect anything.

first year it ticked me off and I vented them.... and then everyone on here told me it was a big mistake to vent so I've stopped.

Sap always stays in the tubing as well. I think that's a good thing as it's actually adding natural vaccuum on a gravity line.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Try to keep them (lines) tight and flowing down hill if possible. I have 600 taps on short run tubing and have to tighten them at least once a season.
Regards,
Chris

Natec
03-08-2013, 07:55 PM
I have a question that spins off from hitnspit's original question. I am seeing 4-5 inches of sap sitting in the drops. Pipeline is new to me this year, so I am wondering with a little warmer weather, will the sap build enough natural vacuum to keep these empty? I have no vacuum system. The lay of the land is much steeper than 3 feet of drop per 100 feet.
Help!

spencer11
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I have a question that spins off from hitnspit's original question. I am seeing 4-5 inches of sap sitting in the drops. Pipeline is new to me this year, so I am wondering with a little warmer weather, will the sap build enough natural vacuum to keep these empty? I have no vacuum system. The lay of the land is much steeper than 3 feet of drop per 100 feet.
Help!
There will always be sap In the line, if there isn't you did something wrong. You will get natural vac to help improve sap flow on good runs

sugarwoodacres
03-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I use a wire to snug up bottom of a run . My mentor says pull on that as hard as you can Don . As far as lines , you are supposed to walk through daily and check lines ...not that us part-timers can't do . Tractor Supply sells it as fence wire $19 a roll .

Natec
03-09-2013, 05:09 AM
The buckets that are across the road from this line out yield the pipeline on a per tap basis. Wind blows on this hillside also. I am thinking that tempature hasn't hit the right mark yet for a good run??

Joust7.1
03-09-2013, 05:20 AM
I am getting a similar effect on my tubing. Not so much at the drops but at the loops by the entrance fittings. And up the laterals a few feet. I thought some of the fittings may have been plugged from some of last years gunk still in the lines. It sounding like this is normal based on the responses here. However, my question is whether you should see bubbles flowing in the build up areas? Most of them on mine do show bubbles but a couple do not. Would this indicate some kind of blockage?

northwoods_forestry
03-09-2013, 06:25 AM
If you are seeing bubbles in the loops before the mainline entrance it could be an indication of an air leak somewhere up the line. Even if you are on gravity, you will benefit by finding and repairing any leaks in the laterals to better take advantage of any natural vacuum you can create.

Burnt sap
03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Quick note make sure the beginning of your pipeline is blocked not open. very hard to get a vacume with an open line.