PDA

View Full Version : Tapped Imlay City

Pweideman
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I started tapping Feb 20. I have 18 in. All I have are silver maples but they run from 20" to 5' in diameter. The larger trees have 2 to 3 taps. I got about 2 pints on the 21st in one bag and that's it. It's above 40 degrees here now and still nothing. My trees are in an area that is deep muck which floods during heavy rain. I suspect the frost runs pretty deep and may be slowing my trees. I drilled 18 taps and only one was wet when I drilled. That's the bag on the right of my profile pic.
I am going to put in 20 more taps. I have 12, 3' to 4' diameter silver maples by the road in front of my place which is a southern exposure. I hope they are ready to go soon. The trees I tapped in the woods are on the northern side of my woods. It's funny if you look at my profile pic the bag on the right ran one day but the other hasn't done a thing.

First time tapper

DonMcJr
02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Welcome Pweideman! Hopefully the run starts soon! You're not too far from me either... It's gonna get cold again starting Friday so we may have to wait a bit!

Pweideman
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Thank you.

I have been watching the weather like crazy and thought today would be a good day or at least tomorrow but the storm is a bit disappointing. Are my taps ok after sitting idle for so long?

DonMcJr
02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Mine have been in since Feb 8th. I read a 3 or 4 year report where the tapped in January and tapped in March and the total sap wasn't much different. Taps will be fine although I don't know much about the bags I wouldn't want the sap to freeze and bust them. But I never used them so hopefully someone that has answers that for you.