PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in the Golden Horseshoe

Ren
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Well I just got back from putting in 50 or so taps and only a few holes were wet this morning. If the extended forecast is correct(which it rarely is). Then it looks like I will hold off tapping the rest till next week at the earliest. I was hoping we would get a run today and tomorrow , so I could fire up the evaporator and sweeten the pans. Not looking to promising though!

Run Forest Run!
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
I was so disappointed that I didn't even get a single drop of sap today. I agree with you Ren, if the forecast is correct we'll be dry for some time to come. Let's hope they are way off so we can start to have a little fun boiling.

MustardSeedMum
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Put in 20 taps on Sunday...all dry. To my surprise a few holes started dripping today...had +2/+3 temps. We'll see what happens the next couple of days with the "big"
storm coming tonight & tomorrow.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 04:44 PM
MustardSeedMum, you are really close to me but the wild wind shut down any chance of sap in my buckets today. Hopefully the coming "storm" will bring some rain instead of snow and start thawing out our frozen trees.

MustardSeedMum
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I was really surprised to see anything in the buckets. Usually the higher elevation means we're a couple of degrees colder than everyone else around me. So most times I'll see reports of you guys in Caledon having flows and I'm sitting empty. :) Anyway, I know what you mean about the winds...it's starting to pick up around here.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Batten down the hatches MSM, those of us in the hills are in for a bumpy ride tonight.

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
The snow can stop any time now. We've had enough.

I guess the silver lining to not having any sap yet is that I don't have to slug it uphill in the deep snow. It's exhausting enough empty handed.

daverobitaille
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
I did my first boil yesterday with 52 Gal and finished at 12 AM!!! To my big surprize I decided to go to the bush this morning to get the snow of the covers and fix buckets because of the win. WOW!!!! My sun and I were shocked with 2 Gal buckets overflowing!!! I did to trips back to the house and got 42 Gal at 10 AM this morning. Got boiling again this afternoon. went to the bush in the afternoon and all were half full but decided to pick it up tomorrow morning. The small trees shut down as it did not freeze last night but the big ones witch is mostly what I tapped are going like crazy.
Hope all are having fun like me!
Dave

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 05:01 PM
I did my first boil yesterday with 52 Gal and finished at 12 AM!!! To my big surprize I decided to go to the bush this morning to get the snow of the covers and fix buckets because of the win. WOW!!!! My sun and I were shocked with 2 Gal buckets overflowing!!! I did to trips back to the house and got 42 Gal at 10 AM this morning. Got boiling again this afternoon. went to the bush in the afternoon and all were half full but decided to pick it up tomorrow morning. The small trees shut down as it did not freeze last night but the big ones witch is mostly what I tapped are going like crazy.
Hope all are having fun like me!
Dave

OK, now that just hurts. lol Still waiting around here. No longer patiently.

naturenitwit
02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
My test tree at my home in stouffville put out a cup of sap today. Looks like that is it for a while. I am trying to figure out when the run will start in my bush in Minden.

Ralph

daverobitaille
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Picked up 27 gal this morning but tonight just 10 gal. It did not freeze last night so I did not get overflow today. I will continue boiling tomorrow but it looks like I will have the weekend off due to a cold spell coming for the next 4 days. I will be closing this week with 3 gal of finished syrup in 3 days. Not bad for a 3 days run!
I hope you guys are having fun like me!

Dave
Coldwater ontario

Ren
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Just got back from hanging another 30 buckets. Sap was flowing. Going to load up some more buckets and head back out. Looks like we should have a good week!

drpud
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I am situated near Woodstock and just got in from putting 70 buckets up. Really good sap flow in about 90 % of them. I stood quiet in the bush a few times just to hear that tip-tap of the sap hitting the bottom of the buckets. Hope to put another 50 out on Thursday then fire up the evaporator on Saturday. :D
Paul

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I have some tiny drops starting from one silver maple tap. It's the first of the season for me.

It's been snowing hard most of the morning so I doubt this will encourage the taps to release much sap today. BTW, I did steal a drop to test. It was at 2.6%. The weekend is looking very, very hopeful.

ennismaple
03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
The sap ran OK yesterday after the mainlines thawed out. it was still running last night when there was ice on the puddles. It's running not too badly today and the weekend looks very promising! Can't wait to make some steam!

Ren
03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Looks like sap must have ran into the night. I was back in the bush yesterday afternoon and some taps were just starting to drip. I went out this morning at 11 and picked up 90 gal off 105 taps. Sap was flowing good. Time to hang some more buckets, as it looks like we are in for a good run tomorrow and sat! Going to make some steam tonight!!! Happy,Happy,Happy

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2013, 01:00 PM
At long last the lid has blown off this season. Here we go! Run Forest Run! Fill Bucket Fill!

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I got just under a gallon from two taps in a single silver maple today. I also went and tapped three sugar maples (four buckets total) at 1 p.m. I collected their sap before dark. The four buckets gave me just under a gallon EACH in only 5 hours! The trees were definitely trying to get going around here today.

Ren
03-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Sap is flowing good. I ended the night yesterday with 15 L of extra light/light. I still have 80 gal in storage tanks and I am expecting another 150 plus today. We had a good freeze here last night but not suppose to freeze tonight. Sap may run well into the night then!

Shiftman
03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi All,

Just a question I was wondering if you have been experiencing the same thing. We had great flow out in Stouffville on Friday and Saturday (probably 60gal from the 50 taps in two days) but Sunday and today we got practically nothing (15gal); weather seemed perfect for it. What gives? Any theories?

Thanks

1999 - 2012 - 25 taps
2013 - 50 taps

2x6 home built evaporator

Treetapper
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
We had a good run on Friday and Saturday. My son collected on Sunday, but since it didn't freeze here last night (south of Brantford), we had very little today. Looks like it could be all over here in about a week or so. Above freezing temps are forcast for our area starting Mar. 20. Sure hope the forecast changes.

Ren
03-12-2013, 08:22 AM
No freezing here in the last 3 nights. No sap yesterday and not expecting much till later this week. Time to clean pans and get ready for the next run which could be our last. We just can't get a break with the weather. Either too warm or too cold. I quess it's time to start getting beekeeping equipment and Woodenware ready! My bees have been flying the last couple of days!

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Over the weekend the sap was flowing really well. Yesterday, things locked up tight. So far, there isn't much flow today either.

On the plus side, it gives me time to catch up with the sap that I have collected, add it to my concentrated sap from the other night and then finish off my first batch for 2013. It was pretty exhausting have to walk through deep snow to collect the sap for the last week. I'll gladly take today to enjoy watching the slow roll of a boiling sap pan and catch my breath.

ennismaple
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi All,

Just a question I was wondering if you have been experiencing the same thing. We had great flow out in Stouffville on Friday and Saturday (probably 60gal from the 50 taps in two days) but Sunday and today we got practically nothing (15gal); weather seemed perfect for it. What gives? Any theories?

No theories - for some reason the conditions were not quite right. You're not the only one - we had very little sap Sunday, Monday and today running 20" Hg. If you're on buckets I'll guess you got next to nothing. Time to re-group, clean up and be ready for after the deepfreeze!

Shiftman
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks Ennismaple,

Good to know I wasnt the only one, alot of threads were saying that they had large runs all throughout the weekend and I was feeling left out!!! And you are right I am on buckets. So Ill be getting ready (mostly waiting) for the next run!!

Ren
03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Just got home from work and to my amazement the 10 taps in my yard silver maples produced 18 gal of sap yesterday! A couple buckets were overflowing! I can't wait to see what the other taps produced in the sugar bush.

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
AccuWeather has just updated our long range forecast and, of course, they are showing lower temperatures for next week. Barely enough to thaw out the trees. I hope this doesn't put a hold on what we were hoping would be a really good upcoming week. The Weather Network is still showing the higher temps. I'll pretend I didn't see AccuWeather.

Run Forest Run!
03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Hadn't had a drop since March 15, but things started to drip a little bit around 2:30. I collected a meager 9L from 19 taps at 6 p.m. Mostly I wanted to check on all the buckets and tap in any spiles that had wiggled loose. Glad I did. I can hear the buckets "kerplunking", so their slow flow is still going. I'm ready for whatever Mother Nature wants to give over the weekend and next week.

Ren
03-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Sap flow really picked up today! I collected 130 gal off 135 taps around 5pm. Sap is still dripping a drop a second or so, from a dozen or so taps as I type this.(thought I'd go check) I collected 70 gal yesterday. Have to work tomorrow so looks like I will be boiling all day on Wed, just to catch up. Wood supply is really starting to shrink now!!

Oh ya, my front syrup pan is really starting to foam up. Look like I will have to give my pans another cleaning. Starting to see a little more Sugar sand showing up.

Run Forest Run!
03-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Things are running in my part of Caledon now. Bring it on!

argohauler
03-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Sap flow really picked up today! I collected 130 gal off 135 taps around 5pm. Sap is still dripping a drop a second or so, from a dozen or so taps as I type this.(thought I'd go check) I collected 70 gal yesterday. Have to work tomorrow so looks like I will be boiling all day on Wed, just to catch up. Wood supply is really starting to shrink now!!

Oh ya, my front syrup pan is really starting to foam up. Look like I will have to give my pans another cleaning. Starting to see a little more Sugar sand showing up.

When it foams up, just give it a little tiny shot of cooking oil and it'll bring it down.

Bet it didn't freeze hard enough last night. Weather gets a little warmer and some cloud at night and they've got a few nights now of 0 or +1. >:(

Ren
03-26-2013, 06:40 AM
I use organic sunflower oil in my flue pan to control foam but I don't like to add it into the syrup pan. It usually isn't a problem till I get a build up of sand in the front syrup pan. I was up at 5:30am and it was -1. The ground was crunchy, so hopefully that will be enough. On another note. I checked a couple of my 3gal pails behind the house this morning and some were 1/4 to 1/2 full! I am hoping the seasons will last in to a least the first week of April.

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Me too Ren! Some of the buckets had a good night's sleep, but others seemed to have dripped through the night. What a pleasant surprise.

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Thought I'd check the buckets that I have on a property 5 miles down the road. Good thing I did. There were 26.5 litres on 7 buckets that ran overnight! The sugar content was 3.25 and 3.5. Once the breeze dies down on my property I expect to see the buckets here start to pick up speed.

I'm one happy gal right now. White steam is filling the air once again.

argohauler
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
It was warm enough for the friggin' garter snakes to come out!

Hope it freezes tonight, but not too hopeful.

Ren
03-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Went out this morning to collect yesterday's sap and got 225 gal off 135 taps! I don't know how much I lost because a lot of buckets were overflowing. We must of had a couple hrs of freezing temps last night because i had some new ice forming in some buckets. (just a very thin layer) On my second trip out of the bush the trees were starting to flow BIG TIME!!!! I am boiling now to make room for today's sap. I am going to pull my taps in my silver maples, as the buds are really swollen and don't want to take the chance of boiling buddy sap!

Argohauler, you guys in Dunnville must just be a degree or two warmer at night. Have you had any really big runs yet?

argohauler
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Went out this morning to collect yesterday's sap and got 225 gal off 135 taps! I don't know how much I lost because a lot of buckets were overflowing. We must of had a couple hrs of freezing temps last night because i had some new ice forming in some buckets. (just a very thin layer) On my second trip out of the bush the trees were starting to flow BIG TIME!!!! I am boiling now to make room for today's sap. I am going to pull my taps in my silver maples, as the buds are really swollen and don't want to take the chance of boiling buddy sap!

Argohauler, you guys in Dunnville must just be a degree or two warmer at night. Have you had any really big runs yet?

Well it must be colder in Caledonia. It froze a bit, but not hard enough to have a good run. I haven't really had any big sap yet.

My fears are coming true, clouds, rain, not going to freeze. A lot of nights 0 or -1. I need a good hard freeze. I would love to have big sap. I'm only at a third of what I want to make.

Which weather man do you believe? Environment Canada, The Weather Network, or Accuweather?

Could go up to 10 on Sunday and more rain.

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Which weather man do you believe? Environment Canada, The Weather Network, or Accuweather?

You know argohauler I don't think that any of them have been all that helpful this year. They've called my bluff over and over this season.

Ren
03-27-2013, 10:04 PM
It is funny how the three weather sites all have different forecasts. I was surprised this morning to find a little bit of ice forming in some buckets. You wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference in temps from my place to yours but I quess a degree or two makes all the difference. Well I quess all you can do is make the best out of the sap you are getting and hope for a hard freeze one of these nights. Sugar maples buds are still pretty tight, so we are not done yet!

longbeard
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I am well out of the Golden Horseshoe area but we are having a great year up in the Georgian Bay area. but I saw your notes on the weather forecasts!! Man, I have been keeping track and none of them are real great. Env. Can. seems to be as close as anyone but still ..... I am looking for one more big freeze and thaw to make it a record year and looking ahead I see Env. Can has -8 and -9 for next Tues and Wed lows, but Weather Network has -5 and -3, while Accuweather has -4 and -1!!! I think I will choose Env Can for this round - good luck to you southeners.

Maplesapper
03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm with you longbeard.
We are boiling in Parry Sound.
One great flow and then a 2 week freezin' pause ??
Weekend looks excellent and then a pause midweek with maybe one more flow.
We will wrap up next weekend if all goes well

naturenitwit
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I am heading back up to Minden where I have 150 gallons waiting for me to boil. My northern neighbor says that they are sill running hard and finally my big tree are pulling their weight. By tomorrow afternoon I should have another 50 gallons. This has been a pretty good run the last 5 days. I better check my red maples, they might need to be dropped out. I gotta go I have a pile of wood to split tonight.

Happy Easter

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
The few trees that I tap deep in the forest are doing OK today, but the ones out in the open have locked up tight. I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought I'd be flooded out today. :confused: For this I turned down dinner? Not such a 'Good Friday' after all . . . maybe 'Decent Friday' at best.

argohauler
03-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Well of course it didn't freeze last night because of the cloud cover. Small trees are done, big ones running a bit, lines barely running.

Too warm today, though nice to see the sun. More snakes out and heard my first peepers, though all the swamps in the bush still have ice in them. Ennis, heard my first gobble today.

Well it's clear out tonight, so is it going to freeze? If it doesn't I'll be able to enjoy a couple Easter dinners.

+13 tomorrow, too friggin warm, but Monday/Tuesday gets cold.

Half way to what I'd like to make.

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Argohauler DO NOT tell us that you heard peepers! I'm just getting going!

After boiling all my stored sap today I have gained enough breathing room to accept a lovely Easter dinner tomorrow. It better get colder during the nights or we'll be drying up.

Run Forest Run!
03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I have 8 taps in a forest down the street. It's cold and sheltered in there. I collected 15 gallons from them today and every single one had been running over the top of the pail for who knows how long. The most sap I've ever seen in one day.

However.....the 10 taps in soft maples at my house were major duds. Not even a gallon in total. Most of them have been in since mid February and aren't worth the effort. Maybe they've dried up. I think it would be a good idea to take a bunch of them out and tap some additional sugars in my other location.

The box elders here have finally started to drip in the past day. If they ever give me enough to try a separate batch I'd be anxious to see what the taste difference is.

I'll be making a trip first thing in the morning to empty the pails down the street and they were still dripping like mad when I emptied them at 6 p.m.

Ren
03-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Good Run yesterday! I am down to 115 taps and picked up 175 gal of sap yesterday afternoon by 4:30pm. Taps were still running strong then and even some buckets overflowing. It is really getting muddy in the bush. I have the evaporator running now and 235 gal of sap to boil down! Happy Easter Everyone!

Revi
03-31-2013, 03:00 PM
I see you tap Freeman maples Run Forest Run. How do they do? We just planted a bunch of them. They are a great tree. I would like to know how they will work for sugaring, since they will be the maples of the future. I have tapped Norways and they are great.

Run Forest Run!
03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Revi, I'd say that I've been pretty happy with all my trees. They each have their own "personality" and one day they'll all be running and another day one will refuse.

As an experiment, after I've finished my coffee I'll go and test a Silver, a Freeman and a Norway and give you an unscientific sneak peak into what each is doing today.

One nice thing about Freemans is that they have a much nicer fall colour display than the Silvers and Norways. BTW, I planted all my maples as tiny whips 25 years ago. They are what I am tapping, well that and a few of my friends' sugars at their home down the road.

Run Forest Run!
03-31-2013, 05:50 PM
As an experiment, after I've finished my coffee I'll go and test a Silver, a Freeman and a Norway and give you an unscientific sneak peak into what each is doing today.

Well that didn't work too well. Because I have had next to no flow on those trees today, the sap that was on the spiles and in the buckets must have had a lot of the water naturally evaporate because the sugar levels were way too high to be just sap. I'll take some readings the next time the trees wake up.

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Anyone in the GTA care to predict what the warmer weather could bring us starting tomorrow? I'd love to see a repeat of last Saturday!

Ren
04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Collected 125 gal of sap today and taps running good still at 6 pm. Looks like we should have some good runs right through till Sunday! I am a little worried about tomorrow as I have to work and won't be able to collect sap till fri morning. Probably going to loose some sap to the ground gods tomorrow. Lol

Ren
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
BIG SAP WARNING!!!! Just finished collecting yesterdays sap and all I can say is WOW! 285 gal from 115 taps and a lot of them were overflowing. I have 365 gal of sap in my storage tanks and no room for any more. Time to fire up the evaporator!

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
All of my buckets and jugs in my second location were overflowing and dumping on the ground. And that was after being emptied at 6:30 last night!

Ren
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
That's it for me. I started pulling taps yesterday and I will pull the rest today. I still have a 200 gal have sap to boil today plus what is left in the bush from yesterday. This will have been my best season to date!

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Overflowed again overnight.....