PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Brad W Wi
05-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I start pouring the floor on a new sugar shack the weekend after Memorial Day. It's on a 40 down the road from my place. But I've got a few questions for y'all out there.
1. It's in NW Wisc. Should I put insulation 2" Owens/Corning pink board, under the whole slab? The slab will be the same thickness of a large garage 24'x40', not all of it is for the evaporator.State code for a dwelling is 3' in or out from the edge. (This is considered a dwelling, it's a whole story in it's self.) The evaporator is a 2x8. There is going to be good drainage around it. Also re-rod around the edge and fiberglass in the concrete.
2. Do any of you pasture cattle around your trees? I'm thinking down the line of raising a few beef (2-4) on the property. I think during the tapping time I could fence them out, so as to not bother the pails.
3. What size stack should I get for my hood?
4. In Wisconsin do I need to carry any insurance to sell Maple Syrup from my sugar bush to the public? It would be like a farmer selling produce from a stand in front of his farm I would think.
Thats all for right now, but I'm sure I'll have a few more down the line. Thank you for all your help from the past and here.

RACE, Please check your E-mail on here,I sent you a question

maple flats
05-13-2006, 05:02 PM
The only question I will give an answer to is the insurance one. I have insurance and feel it is necessary in today's sue happy mindset. If anything were to happen or if anyone claimed they got real sick on your syrup what could you lose and how much would it cost you to defend yourself? Even if you were not at fault or guilty it could cost several thousand $ to defend. If you were at fault it could take everything you have if you had no ins. A liability policy for $1 million costs minimal compared to what a lawsuit could cost. Check it out. Get a farm policy if it can't be added as a rider to your homeowners. Check around, prices vary widely, one company won't do it, another writes it without batting an eye.
My operation has a policy for farming operations which include but is not limited to a u-pick Blueberry operation, my maple (including fire and liab. on the sugarhouse and grounds any my completed operations)and my custom sawmilling. If someone claims my syrup made them sick I have coverage. The cost is less than $500/yr total

Fred Henderson
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Don't waste your money with putting fiber glass in that concrete, forget it and put the wire mesh in. Wire is cheaper and just as good. I have done it both ways and both still crack. The 2" pink board is a good idea.

ibby458
05-14-2006, 04:42 AM
I WISH I could get liability insurance! Once the agent finds out that I have Siberian Husky sled dogs, and a sawmill, and a mail order company, and livestock, they turn white and run out the door! Farm Beareu won't even talk to me. They even put my FIRE insurance in the high risk catagory because a judge COULD hold them resposible because they sell liability to other clients. (Don't ask me - it's what I'm told)

I tell visitors that they better be careful, cuz I don't have insurance, but I DO have a shovel and a swamp.

H. Walker
05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
1. If you can afford the extra foam you will never regret it. The floor will be warmer and dryer. Your feet and legs will thank you after 12 hr. of boiling. I put the fiberglass fiber in my floor with good success. What you might want to consider is putting in some control joints in the floor so you don't get a crack under your arch because in a floor that size you WILL get some cracks, the trick is to control where they are.
2. It's not a good idea to pasture cattle in your bush because they will eat all the sweet sapplings off and leave anything that is bitter. You won't see the result, but future generations will. I know, my bush has two types of maples in it, 150 year old & 20 year old or less, I blame my grandfather.

forester1
05-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Putting cattle in a sugarbush is not a good thing to do. They not only will eat all the sugar seedlings, but will compress the soil and otherwise harm the roots of older trees. The trees become more susceptible to fungus and disease. The damage may not show up for several years but damage will occur.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Wire and fiberglass come out to about the same price, go with wire. A little extra aggrevation, but well worth it in the long run. Wire is 4' wide and as long as the slab vs 1" or less fiberglass. I poured a 24 x 48 slab in my sugarhouse last year and I cut one seam down the middle the entire 48' length and so far, I have no cracks. It was good green concrete and close to 6" thick with 4' of gravel under it. 8O :lol: :lol:

WF MASON
05-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Iwas at a sugarhouse in Corinth Vt. last year , the guy had just had a big garage slab poured , he said the cement guy used a rollout foil insulation like a thick bubble wrap. Something new with a high 'r' value. I think I had seen it in Farm Tec Supply catalog.