PDA

View Full Version : How much air from stack with a blower ?

TerryEspo
02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
As I am bored to death with no sap, I am playing with my new arch and blower. No fire inside, just turning on the blower checking for air leaks (found some), I put my hand above the stack to feel how forceful it comes out the stack.

Hard to explain, will blow a tissue around crazy. It will not feel like if you blow into your palm with your mouth. Not that strong at all, more gentle , I am getting.

Is this normal or am I underpowered?

I do not know the CFM of my blower.

Has anyone tried to see how much air comes out the stack with no fire ging ?

Thanks.

Terry

RileySugarbush
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
It's natural that your airflow out the stack will feel a lot less forceful then directly out of the blower because the stack has a lot more area. Keep in mind that when you have a raging fire in there, there will be additional gasses released and the volume greatly increased by the thermal expansion.

markct
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
You dont want to blow the heat out the stack, just give it plenty of air for combustion

TerryEspo
02-25-2013, 06:44 AM
I am able to control the amount of air the blower blows into my unit. The blower is not attached but simply slides into place. If too much air is going in, I can just pull the blower back a bit and allow some air to escape and not enter the area below the grate. Even when I pull the blower back a foot , I still feel air coming from the stack, I need to turn the blower sideways some to feel less air going through.

I guess I wont know until I do a test boil with water to really know.

I need some snow to melt so I can get it outta my garage and onto fairly level ground.

Thanks.

Terry