PDA

View Full Version : % of sugar in sap

old tom
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
I know there is supposed to be about 3% sugar in maple sap. Is that only Sugar Maples, how much would be in Red, Silver, Box Elder or other Maples? Thank you for reading this

Old Tom

KV Sappers
02-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I wish you could just say Sugar Maples give you 3%, reds give you 2%, ect. ect. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Depends on the tree, location, weather, sugarbush in general. One persons Sugar Maple may have sap of 2.5% while anothers may be 1.5%. I have mainly reds and I average anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 just depends. A guy up the road may have red maples and he or she may be getting 1 to 1.3. You just don't know until you test the sap.

TexTheDog
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
I was checking the sugar content of a tree a couple of weeks ago and it read 1.5%, however today I collected and found that the sugar content is 5%!

So, I am wondering, does temperature affect the sugar content? When it was 1.5%, the temps were 9°C and today the temps were 1°C and the content was much higher and it was on the same tree....

maple2
02-25-2013, 06:10 AM
i have a sugar maple next to the sugarhouse that always runs between 4-6% a soft maple,12ft away, always runs at 1.2%.both on the edge of the river.