PDA

View Full Version : percent of sugar in maple sap

old tom
02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
I know there is supposed to be about 3% sugar in maple sap. Is that only Sugar Maples, how much would be in Red, Silver, Box Elder or other Maples? Thank you for reading this

Old Tom

KV Sappers
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
I wish you could just say Sugar Maples give you 3%, reds give you 2%, ect. ect. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Depends on the tree, location, weather, sugarbush in general. One persons Sugar Maple may have sap of 2.5% while anothers may be 1.5%. I have mainly reds and I average anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 just depends. A guy up the road may have red maples and he or she may be getting 1 to 1.3.

sapman
02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I, too, have mainly reds/silvers, and run about the same as KV's. About 600 are Sugars, but they typically are about the same as the soft maples, in my case.

markct
02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Its not just the type of tree, its the growing conditions, thinning, soil, all kinds of variables. I have primarily red maples in one bush, it usualy runs about 1.5 to 1.7 percent, i have another area of all sugar maples and pretty well spaced out they run 2.7 usualy, another area of sugar maples i have only gives about 2.4 percent, and even these all vary year to year and at different times of the season

Galena
02-25-2013, 06:10 PM
OK silly noob question, as thus far I have simply been collecting and boiling and making syrup in ignorant bliss.

How do I learn my sugar content? Isn't that the Brix I keep hearing about? Do I need to collect sap from all my trees or just a couple to make a little test batch? Do I have to collect sap at a certain time to get the most accurate reading? If so then how much do I need and how do I test it or get it tested for the sugar content? We are fortunate to have a U of Guelph campus in the immediate area, and they collect their own sap too, so there are resources available.

Starting Small
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
OK silly noob question, as thus far I have simply been collecting and boiling and making syrup in ignorant bliss.

How do I learn my sugar content? Isn't that the Brix I keep hearing about? Do I need to collect sap from all my trees or just a couple to make a little test batch? Do I have to collect sap at a certain time to get the most accurate reading? If so then how much do I need and how do I test it or get it tested for the sugar content? We are fortunate to have a U of Guelph campus in the immediate area, and they collect their own sap too, so there are resources available.

You can call a maple equipment supply company and order a sap hydrometer. Just like a syrup hydrometer except it measures the sugar content in sap instead of sugar. Have fun!
-Dave

happy thoughts
02-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Sap is tested with a sap hydrometer or a refractometer. I don't make enough syrup to make either worth the money. Hydrometers are notorious for breaking. Put your money into buying an extra syrup hydrometer if you're really itching to buy something:). Your sap is what it is and unless you have more trees to tap than you know what to do with, are culling trees, or buying/selling sap where price depends on sugar content, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have resources at guelph you could always ask them to test a sample if you're in the area and can bring in a fresh sample. That's just my 2 cents anyway:)

Galena
02-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Ok, thanks guys, will see if my sugaring mentors have a sap hydrometer. If not then they'll know who at U of Guelph to go see.

Starting Small
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
http://mapleguys.com/index.php?category=9
You can pick up one for $12.00 from MapleGuys
-Dave

Allan Limoges
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I bought a digital refractomer last year. Works great, quick and easy. It was about $200 online.