PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 2nd year sugarers

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Just curious. Who else was stupid enough to try sugaring for the first time in 2012 - the craziest year for sugaring in recent memory? I know a few of you off the top of my head, but thought it would be fun to take a count.

Count me in as 1.

At the end of the season let's compare our pathetic first year yields with, hopefully, a golden bounty from this upcoming year.

DonMcJr
02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm #2... Can't wait to see how this year goes!:cool:

bcarpenter
02-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Last year was also my first year, so this is my second year.

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Last year was also my first year, so this is my second year.

So you're #3. It also explains why you look so happy with a single jug of sap. Wasn't that was half of last year's total take. :lol:

bcarpenter
02-23-2013, 10:18 PM
It's amazing how much changes in just one season. After one early run and the weather not cooperating I find myself waiting for the next big run to happen. I seem to be a little impatient, this year!

JSEDLAK
02-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Count me as four. I think I may have jumped too fast. Still on a block arch but with a 5'×6' cross flow pan. Currently at about 130 taps and counting. Last year made 5 gallons of grade b. So far this year have done 3 gallons of grade A light (fancy). Takes about 200 gallons of sap to get a good 8 hour boil in.

68bird
02-23-2013, 10:26 PM
2012 was my first year as well.One pint shy of 12 gallons. I tell people it was my best year yet!!! It was a lot of boiling! A little over 100 taps(all buckets)This year I have 95 on tubeing, and so far about 50 buckets. Boiling on a Leader Half Pint, and finishing on a turkey fryer.Last year pole barn had tarp sides, this yearit is all closed in with power, and a cupola.Looking for a 2x6 for 2014.

markct
02-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I am a 6th year sugarmaker but gota ask what was so bad about last year? Myself and many around here had a exceptional season it just was earlier than usual

DonMcJr
02-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Why It was bad for me is everyone told me around here tapping date is around Feb 20th. I think I tapped the 18th. Beginning of March it hit almost 70 degrees and all the trees buds popped by March 10th I believe and my Taps holes closed up and after March 10th or so Nothing ran from my tap holes.

I believe around here it usually runs til the end of March. So I tapped around the Normal Date and made it a short 1st year for me.

JSEDLAK
02-23-2013, 10:42 PM
I am a 6th year sugarmaker but gota ask what was so bad about last year? Myself and many around here had a exceptional season it just was earlier than usual

I too had what I thought was a good year but not knowing what the "traditional" time to tap helped i think, got in early and ran for a long time.

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2013, 10:51 PM
68bird is #5 and JSEDLAK is #6.

Last year there were many sugarers around here that didn't even bother tapping. I gathered for three weeks and only got the equivalent of 40 gallons of sap before everything dried up. I collected every day and then saved up the sap for mini-boils. I boiled 5 times to get my total of .9 gallons of syrup. But, I loved every single second of it. Bring on 2013!

Sandersyrup
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Last year was my first. Tapped early feb. Received about 15 gallons of sap on 12 taps and boiled to 1 pint.

This year, I reluctantly tried again and I'm on 18 taps (same trees) and tapped around the same date.

So far, I'm at 50 gallons of sap and almost a gallon of syrup. I'm so blown away and flabbergasted about awful my first year was in comparison.

And all day those buckets have been filling. I'm hoping to beat last years totals over the weekend alone.

So glad I decided to try again.

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2013, 11:21 PM
That's so exciting Sandersyrup. I hope you overflow your buckets for weeks to come.

You're #7 in our count of 2nd year sugarers.

dufftj
02-24-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm #8..Looking back i consider it a blessing that my season was really short. I made about a gallon on a really crude block arch with a one compartment sink with the strainer hole soldered shut for a pan. It gave me a good trial and error season. This year I am more prepared with an improved block arch and the addition of two extra pans with copper drop tubes. Not to mention about 20 more taps on mature silvers....Bring it on i'm ready thanks to all the advise posted on this web site.

Tim

Flat Rock Farmers
02-24-2013, 05:55 AM
I guess we'd be #9! Last year was our first year using a "real" evaporator and sugar house. We did 103 taps and only made 7 gallons - 2 gallons of medium amber, 3 of grade B, and 2 of somewhat "buddy" syrup. At one point we were collecting sap in our shorts and t-shirts! We made 5 gallons of syrup the year before with only 44 taps using a lasagna pan and a turkey fryer in our little greenhouse. It may have been a blessing in disguise because we started building our 16' x 16' sugar house in October. With little snow most of the winter, it was great for construction projects! Hopefully we all have a better season. Were' still thinkin' of tapping some today but that forecast still may not cooperate for sap!

CTfarm
02-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Last year was my first year. I made 3 gallons. I figured each gallon cost me $700 to make. But it was real good $700 per gal syrup.

full moon maple
02-24-2013, 06:09 AM
#11 Couldn't have done it without all the great info here on Maple Trader. Tapped Feb 4th last year and was very happy I tapped as early as I did. Just finished tapping the last tree yesterday, can't wait for the flood to begin!

2012 130 taps on gravity
15 gallons made
3x4 divided pan on homeade oil tank arch
2013 150 taps

Spartazoo
02-24-2013, 06:15 AM
This is my second year but 2012 was not my first, 2011 was. 2012 got so warm so fast it had me all confused. First year (2011) sap flowed so fast that I could not keep up with my turkey burner cooker. Fast forward to now... 2x4 oil tank arch and 25-30 taps. Looking forward to working my butt off this week. :)

Markm
02-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Just curious. Who else was stupid enough to try sugaring for the first time in 2012 - the craziest year for sugaring in recent memory? I know a few of you off the top of my head, but thought it would be fun to take a count.

Count me in as 1.

At the end of the season let's compare our pathetic first year yields with, hopefully, a golden bounty from this upcoming year.

You can count me in 1st year 20 taps open fire,finished in kitchen wife was out of town ruined her stove this year 100 taps NGMP evaporator leader finisher/bottler $2500.00 later I think I got bit also.
Mark M

sugarman3
02-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Good luck full moon,45 yrs of doing maple once it is in your blood its all over,i started out 12 yrs old nd 1st year sold the sap-2cents or3cents a gallon,thanks to gramps,next year i had a 2x3 flat pan-12 gallons-43 yrs later-looking to make 750-800 gallons-full blown-ro,vacumn,filterpress,3x10 max evap/blower and all the gadgets that you[think] you need

Daves Maple Farm
02-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Sugarman...hope gramps doesnt have you at 3 cents a gallon yet...lol..Last year our first years and we used product to patch holes in driveway!

whitetail farms
02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
count me in. I too started last year with 6 taps and now have 120 this year and a 12X20 sugar house,ive got the addiction bad.

MapleLady
02-24-2013, 08:39 AM
I guess I'd be #15 in line. Last year was my first year and had 21 taps. I tapped the last week in February -- just by chance -- since it was school vacation week. Over the season, I had 3 very long days of boiling on a block arch with 3 steam table pans. I finished my syrup on my kitchen stove, and learned very quickly what happens when it boils over. (I am thankful that my stovetop is a flat cook surface - had to scrape that burned syrup off of stove with a razor blade the next day - nasty!) Overall, I had about 1 1/2 gals of finished syrup and completely hooked! The ideas and advice provided by the members on this site are wonderful. I would not have had such a good season last year if I didn't have access to this forum! Right now, I have 19 taps in with 10 - 15 more to go. :)

TexTheDog
02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Last year was our first year...our 9 year old daughter thought we should make our own maple syrup so we could save money on our own maple syrup (she definitely won't be an accountant later in life!)

We started Feb 6th (way too early from what others told me) and we were done by March 10. We made 104 litres and in hindsight, it was great the season was what it was as I wasn't really prepared for getting it all together.

We were out yesterday and have 215 taps and are hoping to get another 50 taps this week....bring on 2013!

Heading back to the bush to start collecting!

sweeteffinsyrup
02-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Think I'm #17. Last year was my first year also. Got sick of thinking about it and decided that I may not be old, but I'm not getting any younger. If I am gonna lug buckets around in the snow and slop I probably won't do it when I actually have the time to ...when I'm 85 years old and "considering" retirement. I think my signature pretty much says it all. Went from 13 taps and flat pan hung over open fire to a wood stove turned evaporator and 16 taps here in SE WI. Also have a couple old water softener brine tanks(for free ofcourse) that I put double-faced unions on the bottoms with a 3/4" valve for transfer and storage. It's not much, but I am moving up in the world of maple sugaring. It feels great and can't wait to start tapping next weekend!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON MAPLETRADER FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE AND INFO!!!

Leo
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi, last year it was crazy warm in MN. I started test tapping in Feb. and tapped 110 about March 1st. NO SAP for weeks. Then suddenly on March 19 the faucet turned on and I got 500 gallons of sap in one week. I ended up making 11.5 gallons of delicious dark amber. It is a good thing I was on buckets because I could see that about 1 in 4 trees gave buddy syrup which i immediately tossed. This year I am going to 250 on bags. We are still in the deep freeze in Northern MN. Probably won't tap until about March 7th or later. Good luck everyone!
Leo

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
NO SAP for weeks. Then suddenly on March 19 the faucet turned on and I got 500 gallons of sap in one week. I ended up making 11.5 gallons of delicious dark amber.
Leo

Leo, you are one lucky SOB - Sugarer Out Back - what did you think I meant?:o

Kyle Baker
02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
2012 was my first year also. After watching an episode of curious George with my daughter where he goes to a sugar bush, we decided we should give it a go. We started with 3 taps and quickly jumped to 13 taps in the silver maples on our front yard and made a whomping 2.5 litres of dark tasty syrup.
This year I've made improvements to my cookstove evaporator with a much larger pan, and have high hopes to make more syrup this year. Aiming for 20-30 taps and batch boiling to achieve different grades of syrup rather than boiling it all at once.
Good luck this year everyone! The temps here are about 2 degrees in the day and below 0 at night... I'll maybe tap this week as I might be missing out on some good early sap right now.

Super Sapper
02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
This is my second year also. I did 10 taps last year and 3 or 4 gallons of sap was a good day. I made just under 1/2 gallon of syrup or near syrup but it tasted great. With the information on this site, I built a 2 X 6 and other equipment and am looking at about 120 taps. If we ever get any tapping weather it should be fun to actually see what a normal run actually is.

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Kyle, you're #20 and Super Sapper you're #21. Welcome to the ranks of the 2nd year sapper's roll of distinction. Let's all hope for gallons of syrup this year!

DonMcJr
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
After watching an episode of curious George with my daughter where he goes to a sugar bush

Is that an old enough episode that if I'm 40 I may have watched it as a Child? Cause that was one of my Favorite Cartoons and I even still have my stuffed Curious George from when I was a kid...LOL!

Maybe that's what made me start?! LMAO

jblaker
02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
SugarShackJack. This is my second year although I did aprentice for a couple of years with the man that owns the sugar bush. 39 gals last year on 150 taps.

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Good luck this year SugarShackJack. You're #22, with 39 gallons of experience! Sounds like you didn't have a bad 2012 at all!

RC Maple
02-25-2013, 07:13 AM
That makes me #23 then. I always thought it would be a neat thing to do so we built a shack during the fall of 2011 and tapped some trees in 2012. We kept adding as the season went along and ended up at 35 taps. Made 6 gal of syrup and our family really enjoyed it. made some improvements for this year and after tapping another 16 on Saturday we have 65 taps in. We tapped Jan 27 last year and had a decent 6 weeks season ending with the warmup in early March. We have been tapped for a while this year and still looking forward to seeing a good stretch of sap weather.

LukeDawg11
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
#24 -- started last year on a block arch and got around 2 quarts. This year, my first boil gave me almost 4 quarts of beautiful amber maple. 24 taps, tubing to buckets. I definitely got bit by the bug and bought a Mason evaporator for this season.

GV2
02-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Last year was my first year as well. Being an cross country skier, February 2012 in the Berkshires was pretty much a bust for snow, so I took up this hobbie. I put out 25 buckets this weekend walking around on a 20 inch old snow pack, with another 12+ inches predicted for this weekend but a totally incorrect forecast, (a dusting last night!) So skiing and sugaring probably looking good for me this month!

Kyle Baker
02-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Just put in 5 taps tonight to test the waters. Sap flowed out of 1 right away. Stoked!
And Don, I don't know for sure but I think it was a more modern episode of curious George. Still good though!

CampHamp
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
#26 - Had a blast last year with 44 taps on tube and now have 150 and a 2x6 rig and shack. Last year's summary... 7021

Run Forest Run!
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Love your sense of humour with your shareholder report. That's one great looking haul from last year. Enjoy year #2 and your new sugarhouse.

Oddmott
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Count me in as 1.

You actually did phenomenally well!

I've helped local producers for 8 years prior to 2012, but last year was the first time i was able to convince my parents & brother to take up the obsession. We had 63 taps out and only ended up with 7.5 gallons of syrup after 3 brutal weeks.

We tapped about half our bush (42 taps) this past Sunday and already have 1.2 gallons of syrup, so 2013 is definitely going to be a significant improvement!

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks Oddmott. Now I don't feel so badly about my first efffort. I still can't figure out how Ottawa is getting sap and I'm not. You guys are always brutally cold in the winter compared to the Toronto area.......

Oddmott
02-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Well, our sugar bush is even west northwest of Ottawa (Eganville/Golden Lake area) and usually cooler than Ottawa by a degree or two.

But it's been -4 to +5 for over a week now and looks to continue for another 5-7 days. Perfect weather for an initial sap flow to get everyone excited. It should freeze up again once more before the season hits hard & hectic.

Ed R
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
27- Last year was the first year I made syrup a my place 15 gallons off of 68 taps. I've made syrup all my life at the family farm. It was fun the kids had a blast. I'd like to make alittle more this year my oldest is getting married this summer and wants to give away small bottles as parting presents for attendees.

Kyle Baker
02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Oddmott, I live near Smiths Falls so an hour southwest of ottawa. Do you think its safe to tap all my trees now for this week even though next week is back below freezing? I want to get all the sap I can this year.

BtownmapleIN
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I am # 28. Last year was my first year and we put out 10 taps and mad about 1.5 gallons of finished syrup. Went through all of the learning as well (scorched pans, burnt sap, battles with sugar sand and every batch was dark). My 5 year old son and I had a great time.

This year I just expanded slightly to 15 taps but I built an evaporator from an old filing cabinet so my efficiency went way up over the turkey fryer I used last year. Plus my finished product has been lighter (much lighter). So it has been a great year. Unfortunately my daytime job keeps me from boiling on a regular basis so I imagine that I will only expand slightly next year maybe 20 or 25 taps.

So far this year we are already at 2 gallons of finished syrup and have probably at least 3 weeks to go.

Oddmott
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Oddmott, I live near Smiths Falls so an hour southwest of ottawa. Do you think its safe to tap all my trees now for this week even though next week is back below freezing? I want to get all the sap I can this year.

I think it's "safe". Even "safer" if you're using the 5/16th tree-saver spiles. Regardless though, you won't hurt the trees (as long as you haven't drilled too deep or hammered 7/16 spiles in too far) and you won't miss any of the run.

You'll just want to make sure your buckets are all covered so you're not boiling down snow instead of sap, because we're supposed to get a pretty good dump of it this week.

Also, You don't have to tap your entire bush either. You can just tap your best producers and a few trees you're wondering about early and then finish the rest off when the season is in full swing.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
BtownmapleIn, you must be really proud of what you've made so far this year. It looks wonderful!

adk1
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Dont know what number we are on by 2012 was my first year. made 13 gallons on 120 or so taps..boiled 6 times.. cant wait for this year to start. all tapped, but weather hasent been conducive to great sap flow yet

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Adk1, you're #29. Welcome to the club.:)

BtownmapleIN
02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
BtownmapleIn, you must be really proud of what you've made so far this year. It looks wonderful!

I think I am more surprised! Yes very proud as well. It has been a good hobby to pick up.

Thanks for starting this thread it was a great idea and I have enjoyed reading all the posts.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
BtownmapleIN, I am sure I'm not the only one on this forum dying to see the evaporator you made from an old filing cabinet. You MUST take pictures and post them for us.

chevypower
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
We're #30 it looks.. Definately a rough year to try to start a small business. We had around 2800 on pipeline and another 900+ on buckets, ended up with around 750 gallons. This year we're up to 3400+ on pipeline and of course those lovely 900+ buckets... hoping this season is much better!

Poor Farmer
02-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Last year was my first after about a thirty year hiatus, now affectionately known as the good years. I put in eleven taps and produced between a gallon and a half and two gallons at about twice retail not including my labor. This year I have between forty and fifty taps, so I expect to produce even more at about the same margin. My collection system, long walks uphill with heavy buckets, is only surpassed by the joy of knowing watched sap never boils. My name is Jeff and I'm a mapleholic.

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome Jeff (#31), a mapleholic. Good for you. You have admitted you are powerless over sap. That's the first step. I understand that the second step is believing that a Power greater than yourself can restore you to sanity. I'm not sure what piece of expensive sugaring equipment that is, but go for it! Doctor's orders.

Welcome chevypower too! You sure went 'all in' for your first year. Your second year looks like you'll soon be attending meetings with Jeff. :o

cavescott
02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
I guess I would be #32 started last year was hoping to do 500 taps but only got to 198. 118on gravity and 80 buckets.
only made 34 litres of syrup. plus another 2 gallons of buddy syrup just because people were talking about it and i wanted to see what it was like. Its not good but now I know and wont do it again LOL:lol:

vernon
02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
We made 25 gallons last year and looks like it will be a lot better this year...Happy Happy Happy..

vernon
02-28-2013, 06:48 PM
I must be #33.

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
We made 25 gallons last year and looks like it will be a lot better this year...Happy Happy Happy..

25 gallons! How many taps did you have in? That's a fantastic first year effort!

Kyle M
02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
27- Last year was the first year I made syrup a my place 15 gallons off of 68 taps. I've made syrup all my life at the family farm. It was fun the kids had a blast. I'd like to make alittle more this year my oldest is getting married this summer and wants to give away small bottles as parting presents for attendees.
This is my second year, last year was a bust with my tendency to boil over, got about half a pint, I too am getting married this summer and am Trying to make enough for the parting presents

Kyle M
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Makes me 34

BaileyHillBen
02-28-2013, 08:43 PM
#35 here, 10 days of sappin', just under 1000 gal. of sap on 160 or so buckets, yielded right around 25 gal. of syrup. Started right around the second week of March and by the end of the 10 days it was darned near 70 deg. Had a great time;)..Tappin the 4th of March this year with 200 buckets. Hoping to hit 35 to 40 gal with 200 buckets. Planning to spend most of March sugaring...WooHoo!!!

Kyle M
03-01-2013, 07:43 AM
BaileyHillBen, I assume I am not far from you. Isnt it a little late to get started in this area?

DonMcJr
03-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Wow 35 Newbs last year! Pretty Cool!:cool:

daileytapper
03-01-2013, 08:44 AM
I'll be #36! I think it being our first year really was a benefit to us. Everybody else around us didn't tap until they usually do. I was armed with the knowledge that our bush has an earlier run than any other around us. We tapped the last day of January last year and didn't pull the taps until March 18th. We had 25 buckets and built a scab sugar shack and produced 7 & 1/2 gallons of syrup! We heard that a quart of syrup per tap is a good year, if that holds true, we should have ended up with 6 & 1/4 gallons, so I guess our first year was better than average.

BaileyHillBen
03-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Kyle M, I live in Lancaster Co. but my sugarbush is in God's Country, Northern Potter Co. Not too many tapped up there yet as we still have freezing temps through most of the day and close to a foot of snow as of this afternoon from what I am told. Should make collecting tricky(fun;)

psparr
03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Kyle M, I live in Lancaster Co. but my sugarbush is in God's Country, Northern Potter Co. Not too many tapped up there yet as we still have freezing temps through most of the day and close to a foot of snow as of this afternoon from what I am told. Should make collecting tricky(fun;)

Where abouts in Lancaster. I'm near Denver and tap in Huntington county

Too Tall
03-01-2013, 06:08 PM
#37 - Made 1 quart last year.

Made 1 quart so far this year and the sap hasn't really started to flow yet. Hoping to get 2 gallons off of 12 buckets.

hgjobe
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
#38 We made 8 gallons last year. So far this year we are at 15 gallons and were not done yet. So far my biggest mistakes are a burnt pan and short on wood. Typical nub mistake.

PACMAN
03-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Had 200 buckets long enough ,our first year,last year that I new i would not use buckets again. So,last spring we put up 1000 feet of 1 inch mainline and 15 500 foot rolls of 5/16 for laterals. We just finished tapping today,we ended up with 400 taps. Still not running in the northern adirondaks but this coming week should be good. That makes me 39.

BaileyHillBen
03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Where abouts in Lancaster. I'm near Denver and tap in Huntington county

Hi psparr, Im In Maytown right outside of Elizabethtown/Mount Joy. We have a cabin In Potter which is surrounded by many old sugar maples:D

Run Forest Run!
03-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the club!

Greyfox
03-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Can I play? Last year was my second season, so technically I don't qualify, but I just wanted to update "what a difference a day (year) makes". I checked my notes, and in 2011 I drew 228 gallons of sap from 30 taps, and in 2012 on the same bush I drew 42 gallons from 30 taps as well. It's March 1st today and I've already pulled half what I did last year from 16 taps. This looks like it should be a MUCH better year than last; good luck everyone.

Doc

daileytapper
03-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Hey BaileyHillBen, where do you tap at in potter? Yes, it has been slow here, just boiled down today what we got over the last week off 54 taps on tubing and got just under a quart. Collecting buckets sure would be tricky in this, luckily we haven't tapped our buckets yet. :) Have a great season!

Run Forest Run!
03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
That's really encouraging for us Greyfox. Thanks for the boost of confidence for our 2013 season.

BaileyHillBen
03-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Daileytapper, we are right outside of Ulysses. Good luck and Have a great season!

Nodda Duma
03-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Last year we bought our house in NH. The year before we had moved from the southwest into a rental. I had read up on how to tap maple trees for making syrup, and tried it on the handful of trees (17 I think) I found behind the house. Made about a gallon or so and gave it away to friends and family.

When the season was done and spring came, I decided to walk the 3-acre property and count the maple trees. I found I have 120 trees I could tap. Holy cow!

So this year I put out tubing, then read up on how to do tubing correctly and now I'm redoing the tubing the right way. It's slow going... I have about 30 trees on the line now I think. My kids help as they can, which is to say they run into the deep snow at every opportunity. I also learned that a thermos of hot water is invaluable when putting tubing on connectors.

I have a little cooking stove that a coworker gave me. I tried boiling some sap yesterday and never got it to boil. Tried all day..had a roaring fire inside. Then I realized that antique stove has no baffle so the heat goes right up the smoke stack! So I will fabricate a baffle and stick it in there today and try again.

I went to the local sugar shack for inspiration. I told him I had started collecting sap and had about 25 gallons to boil. He said he had 2000 gallons ready to go and had it steaming away. My wife, who like all good wives is a wonderful cheerleader who supports me in all my misguided endeavors, snickered and said I must have performance issues. I muttered something about it being too cold in my woods and left. Heading back to the house I rubber-necked every bucket and tubing setup we passed. I'm sure they were overflowing.

I still have a bit of time to get my process down since it does stay a little bit cooler where I'm at it seems. Needless to say I am addicted. I would have given up long ago if I wasn't. :) It keeps me busy and it's a lot of fun!

MapleLady
03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Keep at it Nodda Duma. Half the fun of this hobby is 'tweeking' the set up to get more sap, syrup! :)

Run Forest Run!
03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Things started to flow late yesterday and into today. All I can say is WOW, what a difference from last year. I'm in panic mode trying to figure out storage for the coming flood. I hope I'll be able to keep up, and can't wait to try. I have collected as much in the last 24 hours as it took me four days to collect last year. . . . . and not all my trees have thawed out yet!

DonMcJr
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
2nd boil and im passing what I made in syrup last year already...by 1/2 gallon! Granted I do have 30 more taps this year too!

Run Forest Run!
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
That's so great Don. I can only imagine how much syrup you're going to have by the end of the season.

I also realized tonight that the sap I have collected in 2 days, equals 1/4 of my total sap for last year. The average sugar count is between 2.25 and 3.

MJFlores
03-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Last year was my first try as well...I ended up making 54 oz. of syrup from 15 taps. This year, it's a lot better running but on my property I only have red maples, and they're really spread out and with this years snow depth it's tough going on snow shoes in the dark and lugging a 5 gallon bucket through the woods. Last year was MUCH easier to access trees with the lack of snow, but not near as much sap. I think for me, it was good to start last year ...we'll always remember the not so good times on the sap line, so we can look at this year as kind of a gift. If we had started this year, and then encountered a year like last year we'd all be panicking thinking we did something wrong LOL. It's all good. Today I'm getting ready to make my largest batch of syrup ever...I've forgotten how much sap I have as I've been doing "mini boils" all week so I have room in my fridge.

daileytapper
03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Just had our 3rd boil yesterday and it brings our year total up to 3 & 1/2 gallons so far this year. Had 7 & 1/2 last year on 25 taps, so we're hoping for 19 this year on 75 taps.

Oddmott
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
We've had 80+ taps out for 3 weeks now and only collected about 80 gallons of sap :(

Quite disappointing considering that every time we tap a tree the sap comes gushing out... but as soon as we put in a spile (both old 7/16 & bucket as well as 5/16 & drop-lines) the sap completely stops flowing.

Getting worried we're going to miss a good flow again this year as there's signs the weather is going to warm up too early and too consistently, just like 2012.

LawnSite
03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
My 2nd year of going solo as well. Nice run this past week-end. Trees are shut down for now.

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
My 2nd year of going solo as well. Nice run this past week-end. Trees are shut down for now.

I wonder if Mother Nature is trying to remind us of what last year was like by shutting off the flow just when we thought things were going great. :confused:

Shawn
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Its not over yet. Raining hard here today and no flow of sap. Boiled four times and have bottled up eight and three quarters to date. 3 gallons over from last year. Going to get colder and and this just what we need. Looking long range weather it looks like we may be able to go into April, I HOPE. Hang in all:cool:

DonMcJr
03-13-2013, 12:27 AM
:cool:It cooled down here in SE Michigan and is only going to 32 today! Then PERFECT above day/ below night weather for the next 10 days... The flood of Sap is yet to come!

Now I just have to get more wood. My buddy is supposed to come over tomorrow and use the Chainsaw for me cause there is NO way I can use a Chainsaw with my right arm...actually have to goto the Doc today to schedule Surgery and I am hoping it's After April 1st...

So... my 2nd year and I have 224 oz or 1 gallon, 96 oz.

Which is 104 oz less than last year but I have 4 Gallons of Sweet in the pan and another 25 gallons of sap waiting to boil yet... :lol:

MapleLady
03-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Trees shut down here yesterday also. Temps were in the low 50's - yikes! Looks like back to 'normal' 20's nights starting tonight, then 40's daytime temps starting tomorrow -- with SUNSHINE! Getting ready over here! Finished off a little from Monday nights boil - got 40 ozs!

Run Forest Run!
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
After countless setbacks and equipment issues, at long last I have bottled my first batch for 2013. Can't rave on about the sugar content, because my ratio was about 47:1. Ugh! I made 4 1/2 litres (just under a half gallon), and it is delicious. A good start to this year.

I've no idea why there are two photos of the same shot......

sugarshed
03-14-2013, 04:06 PM
After 3 good runs things have realy come to a stop .My 2nd year with the halfpint and already made 1.5 gal syrup with 50 buckets.105 gals sap .hope runs again and do not turn to bad sap fast like last year. good luck

KV Sappers
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Good for you RFR. Your nectar of the Gods is beautiful. I'd kill for a 47:1 ratio. My reds gave me a 59:1 ratio this year. Happy sugaring to you. Have a great year.

Dondjr79
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Enjoying my second year with my family! 10 trees on 5 gallon buckets. Just shy of 2 gallons. Should get another gallon Sunday. Assuming this week will be darker. The last two boils Pretty much out of wood. Collecting pallets now!!!

Run Forest Run!
03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
After making two small batches I have just finished my 3rd batch. I got just over a gallon (3.875 Litres). That one batch was more than my ENTIRE year for 2012. I got 38:1 on that sap which put the sugar at around 2.25%.

I'm one happy camper! Things are just starting to get dripping around here.

DonMcJr
03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Holy Sap and Syrup Batman! 500 Gallons of sap and after I finish what's in the fridge tomorrow I should be around 7-8 gallons of Syrup! over 3 times as much as last year and I just had to buy another face cord of wood and already have 100+ gallons waiting for me to boil!

Love It!:lol:

Troutman10
03-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Flooded with sap also. Should hopefully be able to surpass my goal for the season soon. Not sure how much more I can take with steam pans and the fuel oil tank. Upgrade???

Run Forest Run!
03-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Way to go guys! It's certainly feast or famine when it comes to sap. Guess who just declined from Good Friday dinner tomorrow night ....... Easter dinner could be the next victim. Hey, if the family wants "free" syrup then they've got to cut me some slack.;) This is like playoffs for sugarers. And you don't mess with playoffs.

MapleLady
03-29-2013, 06:32 AM
Wow - the sap is streaming in NY and Ontario! Glad to hear that you are getting flooded with the sweet stuff! My taps have been pretty much dry here in southern nh this week and the forecast looks like it might be over. I boiled down the last of my sap last night -- a mere 22 gallons-ish and will finish off on Saturday in my kitchen. My total syrup this year (not counting last night's boil) is 223 oz. of syrup, just about 3.5 gal. That's double what I had for my first year. So, a good year over all. Sad to see it come to an end......

68bird
03-29-2013, 06:44 AM
A very good second year for me! Over 19 gallons of light, and medium syrup so far! My 19 year old son was boiling when I left for work this morning at 6:30! (priceless). Already bought a 2 x 6 drop flue to set up for next year. Happy Sappin'
Doug

MapleLady
03-29-2013, 06:45 AM
I hear ya, Karen. My family has had to fend for themselves for dinner a couple of nights this week and my husband asked yesterday morning how much longer this was going to go on. :lol: Like you said, if they want syrup, they'll have to cut us some slack! I won't be doing the big Easter celebration at my house this year -- the first in at least 15 years. Thankfully my sister-in-law has offered to host -- and my brothers' families will be getting syrup in their Easter basket this year. :cool: (It has been nice to focus on sap/syrup this week and not organizing festivities!) Have a nice Easter!
Way to go guys! It's certainly feast or famine when it comes to sap. Guess who just declined from Good Friday dinner tomorrow night ....... Easter dinner could be the next victim. Hey, if the family wants "free" syrup then they've got to cut me some slack.;) This is like playoffs for sugarers. And you don't mess with playoffs.

jnexus
03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
I guess I`m a little late posting on this thread, but I have been simply overwhelmed. Last year, my first year, I tapped about 50 trees, 80 percent being reds and the rest sugar. Nice and close to the house so the gathering on foot wasn`t too bad. Managed to get 24L of syrup, boiled down on a thrown together cider block arch with a 3`x 8` piece of 1/2" steel plate above the fire, sitting on the cider blocks and all the stainless steel stocks pots, turkey roasters and cake pans that we had in the house.
I thought I did fairly well, maybe I averaged about 20L of sap per tree ( sugars producing double the reds)
This year I built a 10'x2 1/2' brick arch to fit the pans from a conventional arch, 2 drop flue, 1 divided flat pan with a siphon into the syrup pan. Given the set up,
I figured that I would focus only on sugars and tapped 210, in no way close to the house....So much for 20L of sap per tree. With good sap flow, my 3G buckets are overflowing in a day and I'm hauling back 8-10 40 gallon barrels. Which is great...I guess, if I didn't have a job.
So I would say this year is a whole lot better.....and a whole lot more work.

Jason

2012 about 50 taps with 40 buckets and 10 on line
cider block arch and a whole lots of pots
24 L of syrup

2013 210 taps with 202 buckets and 8 on line
masonry arch 2 1/2 * 8 drop flue
So far 16L of extra light, 28L of light and a full evaporator

MapleLady
03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Jason, sounds like you've had a good 'sap season' so far! :D All that hauling of sap is a lot of work though! Time to refine your system! In my set-up, my evaporator is up hill (yup) from most of my taps. It's crazy lugging all of that sap up hill! This coming summer, I'm planning on moving my arch down hill and planning for some tubing for next season. I'll keep a couple of buckets out front of my house for 'looks', but hope that tubing will make this hobby more time-manageable! I find myself emptying buckets before school in the early morning and late afternoons, so that I'm not emptying full buckets. Sugaring is certainly addicting!