PDA

View Full Version : Poll run vac 24/7 or turn on with temp

MillbrookMaple
02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
I will finally have my new Vac pump hooked up tomorrow morning. Indiana Vacuum 75cfm electric. We ran a dairy pump at 15" last year so I am like a kid wanting to try out his new toy. I am going to fire it up and check for leaks tomorrow and Monday. Here is my forecast for the next couple of days for my sap bush if anyone wants to look. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Grant+Mills&state=NY&site=BGM&textField1=42.0842&textField2=-74.6808&e=0
Monday is going to be sunny so even if it is just above freezing I figured I would run the vac for the day. Wed and Thursday 37 forecasted. We know you can't trust the weather So, what do you all think? Do I turn the pump on 24/7 in the chance that temps could be a degree or 2 or 3 higher on any given day or wait until I start seeing 40s in my forecasts? I don't want to pay a ton for electric but I also had a day last year where the night low was supposed to be 22 and high forecasted for the next day was 35 and I woke at 6am and it was already 38 and sap was running and I wondered how much sap I would have had if I left the pump on all night. Also, feel free to ignore any details about my particular weather and just debate 24/7 vac or not if you would like.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
you will love that vac. I bought the same pump this year-oil cooled. I am running it at 27.5" right now with plenty of room to still tighten down the regulator. It is running 2 releasers-6000 tap bernard horizontal and bernard single upright releaser. I am running 4400 taps on this setup right now, but plan on adding another 600-800 on it next year. I am getting 27.25" at farthest tap from sugarhouse, which is over 3000' away. Enjoy it, it will be a big change from a dairy pump. Neil

sapman
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I've struggled with the same debate. I'd probably definitely run when it's above freezing or close. But this is why I love 3-phase with VFD and transducer. Just set it to slow down or stop at 27" or whatever, and when everything freezes your not using any power. This is what I'm trying to do, but unfortunately at times my VFD likes to shut off my Busch pump, giving an overload code. Topic for another thread.

Did you get oil or water-cooled? Art is a great guy to deal with, isn't he?!

MillbrookMaple
02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
We have the Oil cooled version since I don't have a good water source nearby. We actually got it through our local distributor Tom Kaufman. Tom and I talked about it and he recommended this pump and the reviews were great that I saw so I expect great things. For now 75CFM for 2000 taps is overkill but I figured I would grow into the pump instead of upgrading again in the next couple of years.