PDA

View Full Version : weather vent

JSEDLAK
02-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Maybe it's because last year was my first and we pretty much boiled from the last week of January thru mid March, but come on i got all set up, new pan, bigger pan quadruple the taps and nothing to boil. I can already tell this is going to be one of those hobbies that is just full if b/s. Sorry for the vent session...had to get it out.

1hardmaple
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
I know how you feel, my wife says I'm just being impatient this is one of those times I hope she is right...

sapman
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't base anything on last year. Really weird one. But I understand. I got ready earlier than normal this year, and only had a couple runs so far. Just gotta be patient. Hopefully we're making syrup into April this year.

325abn
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I hear what your saying, but it is now just the last week of Feb, I think this is the traditional start time. Yes?

Furthermore we have to take what Mother gives us as we can't really really do much about it! :) :)

sugarman3
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Maple producers must be patient,last year was way out of the norm,never hurts to be ready,45 yrs of making syrup has taught me this,better to be ready than miss a run,it will happen,looking like a normal yr

Sugarmaker
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Resting in NWPA, getting all my strength ready for those big runs to come. Mother nature is in control.

We have tapped, now we wait.

Regards,
Chris

JSEDLAK
02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
I guess this is just my first "normal" year. Excited with year 2. We had one week (really just 4 days) of good running and it was literally just enough to get excited, thought it was gonna be on like donkey kong and then...nothing, everthing shut down. I guess the time is well spent working the kinks out, problem solving. Maybe I will cut more wood...just in case.

JSEDLAK
02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Finally, the warmer temperature last night the taps must have slow dripped all night. Out of about 70 taps in one grove pulled 55 gallons. Gonna be some boiling fools by Wednesday.

1hardmaple
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Can anyone tell me how long tap hole are good for since the weather is not cooperating been about a week so far do I need to re tap or anything? Thanks for any help

Troutman10
02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Not sure if its true, but the bacteria can't grow when it's freezing out. Taps should be good. Only what I've heard from others.

On to the weather...It's all about Mother Nature as already stated. I've actually been able to finish up my goal of making my Fuel Tank Evaporator. The cooler temps have worked to my advantage and now I'm ready to roll. Last year was something. Was lucky in making the decision to tap earlier than normal in 2012. I'm on my third year. We've all gotta roll with the punches as the saying goes. I won't be complaining if we're boiling into April .

newman_maple
02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
My season in southern Ohio is winding down, but this will be my best year in the 6 I have been doing more than hobby sugaring. The sugar content has been way up and we have had good up weather. We have had several hard freezes after big runs. Yesterday was my biggest collection ever and it was all very light amber. My wife finishes off in the house and puts in 5 gallon jugs so I am not sure of my gallon total to date, but I should be around 30 gallons now (from 164 taps). My best year was 33 gallons and I should easily get another 200 gallons of sap in the next couple days before the next cold snap. After last year's miserable year, I am very pleased. I hope you guys all have a great year!