PDA

View Full Version : Main Line

TWhite
05-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I was at the plumbing supply store to check the price of 1" plastic pipe for mainline. Guy there said that black plastic pipe they sell (Cresline) does not have anything to protect from UV rays and without burying would not last only a few years. I always thought that it was the same as we had gotten from Lappiere.

brookledge
05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Thats news to me I have some black plastic line that is over 15 years old. not sure if it is cresline or not. Check with another supplier in the area and ask the question to them. Or check with crestlines web site.
Keith

mountainvan
05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
I bought a lot of that at Lowes over the years,10- now, and have no problem with it.

ennismaple
05-15-2006, 09:00 AM
We've got some black water pipe in our old bush that's probably close to 25 years old and there's no problems with it breaking down.

It does heat the sap up more than the translucent green or blue mainline because it attracts more of the sun's rays.

maple flats
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
I have some crestline and the oldest is only 3 seasons old, so far no problems. My longest run is only 500'. I havn't yet but might someday paint top half white to help keep it cooler. I'll need to wait to see what 10 or 15 years will do to it. On another note I was a scout leader and at the scout camp they used black tubing for running water lines and some was even 20 years old and this had something like 50 lbs pressure on it during periods of low use, in high use it was way lower pressure. Of course some of the runs were over 1000-1200' long with tees off and still only 1" pipe so line friction played a big part on flow. Never heard of any problems with it except in drier years the bears would bite thru the pipe to get water even though they were only a couple hundred yds from a good lake with cover right to the water.