PDA

View Full Version : Leader treesaver spout improvements

gearpump
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I think that I have been hanging around NASCAR fans way too much, I reamed out all my 5/16 spouts with a 5/32 reamer to help increase the sap flow! I just got 100 new taps and noticed that the inside diameter was rough and had places for "stuff" to grab onto. Reaming them out polished the bore to a mirror shine. If you have some of these spouts you might want to check them out and and ream if necessary.

Marty

Pete33Vt
05-12-2006, 04:20 AM
WOW ported and polished spouts, good for you. It makes all the sense in the world. Any thing to hold up the sap flow is a bad thing. Might have to ba careful when tapping though as the side walls are thinner. don't want them to break. Hope they work out.

maple flats
05-12-2006, 05:19 AM
They should be ready for the race to the sap tank now! :D

Father & Son
05-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Marty,
I bought 125 of those spouts this spring and did the same thing. I thought I was crazy when I saw how much the diameter varied. Out of the 125 purchased almost 1/3 of them had major obstructions in them.

Jim

saphead
05-13-2006, 08:53 AM
There is really no excuse for the low quality of the plastic molded parts I have looked @ recently. I talked to a worker @ Bascoms this spring and on a replumbed bush they installed IPL disposable/stubby fittings, they had to switch to semi-rigid due to the vacuum leaks caused by the ridges on the fittings left by the molds.The fit-up of the IPL was superior to the Leader due to the positive lock, I also noticed the D&G bins were almost empty...hmmm
Anyone use the D&G set-up?

mcmp
05-13-2006, 12:54 PM
There is no excuse for a lot of the quality issues we see in Sugaring Equipment/supplies.

I was at an open house this spring and commented on the poor quality of sheet metal work and cast parts fitting well. The sales person looked me in the eyes and said

"Hey, this is farm equipment, not aero space stuff"

So I guess some believe us maple farmers will accept less that good quality, not me. I walked away and will not go to that company for anything.

Paul

Parker
05-14-2006, 05:01 AM
I was impressed by the quality of the LaPierre stubbies and extensions,,if I make any $$ this summer my 2 priorites are changing over to them and getting stainless barrells,,(I lost quite a bit of grade in the plastic 5's),,oh yeah,,and adding another 1000 taps.............