PDA

View Full Version : sap level in flue pan

grimmreaper
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
i want to get a bit more out of my rig....whats the safe depth to run in the flue pan? im running now at 1 & 3/4 ''...i have a 30'' x 10'...i have a 7 foot flue pan & not getting a strong boil thru the whole pan...just the 1st 2 '...

maple flats
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I go between 3/4 and 1" deep, sometimes I even go 1/2" over the top of the flues. In the syrup pan I go about 1", never under 3/4"

325abn
02-22-2013, 09:43 PM
When I am running my rig I have the mind set of instead of boiling the sap I am protecting the pan from the heat. Does that make since?

So I run just enough over the top of the flues so they do not run dry. Very little flows over the top almost like the sap is just sheeting over the top of the flues. It does get hairy and I have to be on my toes and I always have a flood bucket ready.

grimmreaper
02-23-2013, 08:25 AM
thats tooo scary....talk about being on edge...325abn , your toes must be sore at night

grimmreaper
02-23-2013, 08:31 AM
maple flats , do you noyice the boiling rate with that 1/4'' depth change with your rig?is the weather ever going to break for us?so far every warm up for me is barly above 32...this morning 33 and snow...

802maple
02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
This is exactly how I do it and have for years.

Grimmreaper, it will warm up when it is sugaring time.

When I am running my rig I have the mind set of instead of boiling the sap I am protecting the pan from the heat. Does that make since?

So I run just enough over the top of the flues so they do not run dry. Very little flows over the top almost like the sap is just sheeting over the top of the flues. It does get hairy and I have to be on my toes and I always have a flood bucket ready.

boondocker
02-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Im assuming your running a raised flue? Because on my test run a couple weeks ago i had the same issue but i was running the back pan pretty deep.......@ 2" over the top of the flues. Im going to bring it down to 3/4 and im hopeing that will change everything. I also wasent getting a real good boil in my very front syrup chamber on my front cross flow pan, any ideas?

325abn
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I run the syrup pan about 1-2 above the draw off valve, then draw off to the top of the valve.

grimmreaper
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
boondocker,sound like your rig is similer...i dont get a stong boil up front either,but when i reverse the flow to draw off the front it boils just fine..