PDA

View Full Version : "leaking" lapierre seasonal spouts

PerryFamily
02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Spout: Lapierre seasonal 90 degree

symptoms: "leaking or seeping" around the tap hole

Possible causes:???????????

There are only a few leaking of 300 I put in the bush. It was pretty cold when they were tapped but most holes were moist. I have re set the taps but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Possibly I didnt set the tap fully the first time?
Maybe the bark was split?
Not sure, any suggestions are apprechiated.

Oh yea- made 5 gallons of wicked nice A-med last weekend, first of the season.
Good luck everyone

PARKER MAPLE
02-22-2013, 05:35 PM
my guess is maybe the bark split being it was cold. I have used those 90 deg tomahawk spouts before, and had this happen. What I did was replace it with a black treesaver spout. they say that the black treesaver spout is more plyable then the poly carbonet 90deg lapierre spout. I saw a picture of your syrup my wife showed me. Im jelouse. Oh well Im almost all tapped and sap was running a little today and drill bit was steaming most of the time.
GOOD LUCK
MR

PerryFamily
02-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I think you are probably right. I just noticed you have a ranger!! Super jealous!! I want one wicked bad. Had the wife all convinced with the seat belts for both kids and roll bar, till she saw the price tag!
Oh well, now most of my taps are 10 minutes away so I have to use the truck.

English River Maple
02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
In my opinion, it's tough to just blame the spout. There are alot of variables that can cause a spout to leak around the perimeter. Some of them being type of drill bit used (hole being clean after drilling), rpms of bit (faster the bit is turning during entrance, the cleaner the tap hole....basically, let the bit cut, don't push too hard or the wood will shred) during entrance, etc.. Another would be the angularity of the bit during entrance and exit. It is easy to create an oval shaped hole at the start of the hole by not being straight during entrance and exit. This could cause problems. I also believe that some leakage around the spout is natural in creating a seal between the exposed wood fibers in the hole and the exterior of the spout. Not a lot, but some should happen during the freeze/thaw transition before the sap runs. Just some thoughts...but I'm trying to figure it all out myself...good luck

PerryFamily
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
english- I think you could be on to something. I admit I am probably guilty of being a sloppy driller. I use a standard canadian tapping bit. I use a dewalt 12volt drill. I like it because its light and compact but drills best on low rather than high. It drills ok on high but really kills the batteries. Possibly low is just too slow? Its only a hand full but I am going to walk the tubing tomorrow and check the rest.

GeneralStark
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Thia is my third year using CDL Smart Spouts and I too notice about 1/3 of the spouts weep a bit from around the tap hole early in the season, but then stop. There are certainly many factors that seem to lead to this, but I think one may be hammering a bit more than needed and slightly splitting the bark. I use a tapping bit and a good cordless on high speed with bit stop.

PerryFamily
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I have talked to a couple other guys who have had this happen. Both have said it seems to stop.

If this bush was on vacuum, would these leak? or not necessarily?

The bush that bothered most will never be on vac, but I am curious.