PDA

View Full Version : Impact drivers

batsofbedlam
02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I want to buy another cordless drill to add to my collection so my crew doesn't have to buy their own. I presently use a Bosch 24v cordless and get more than 300 drill holes per charge. It's a shame that Bosch stopped making them, so I am looking for something with equal torque and lasting power.
The impact drivers look interesting, but I need to know what effect the impact has on the wood in drilling holes.

FunnyFarm
02-22-2013, 08:13 AM
ridgid sells a kit has a drill and impact driver all lifetime warranty

bowtie
02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
there is a thread on this if you search "cordless best bang for your buck". i did some research and read all the comments and settled on a 18v lith-ion 3.0 amp milwaukee combo drill/ impact driver. not as cheap as some others but reviews were good. when you buy look into the amp hours that the battery is some are 1.4/1.5 and up to 4.0, more amps generally means heavier, i checked and it is really very little, but battery will last longer. the difference between the 3.0 amp vs the 1.5 amp combo was $299 vs $229 but the 3.0 amp batteries are $120 each so for seventy dollars you get 2 "better" batteries, seemed well worth it me. just ordered yesterday so the jury is still out though.

CBOYER
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
never used impact to drill tap holes. You want the most perfect round holes to prevent leaks, impact will not deliver the roundness required.

doop
02-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't use an impact for drilling tap holes I don't think you would get a very clean hole. Impacts also don't have a chuck like a drill. But they are awesome for driving screws.

Spolcik
02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
never used impact to drill tap holes. You want the most perfect round holes to prevent leaks, impact will not deliver the roundness required.

I agree. The guy who got me statred tapping said you have to use an old fashion hand drill! So i did the first year with five taps no big deal. This year with 40 was a different story. The last five or so my arms were pretty tired! They also leak a little due to my wobbly drilling. A round hole is very important not to loose any sap.

GeneralStark
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
As has been said, don't use an impact driver for tapping. They are not for drilling clean holes in a maple tree, they are mainly for driving screws, hence the name.

maplehillbros7179
02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
i wouldnt use one stay with the cordless drill, we use milwaukes with the lithium batteries and we can do about 500 taps on a battery

stagecoach maples
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
i just tapped 1500 holes with an impact driver on high vac and no leaks so as far as them not drilling a clean hole thats not true!!!!!!!

trevor
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
ridgids' warranty sucks. they give you a hard time. make sure you register quickly and save you id. card. finding a retailer to warranty their tools is hard to find. the box stores that sell those tools doesnt do the warranty work. good luck.

rchase
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
fw webb has a special running right now. If you trade in any 18 volt tool and battery. doesnt have to work. you get 100 dollars off a milwaukee 18 volt.