PDA

View Full Version : burning composit wood

rbross
05-11-2006, 05:42 AM
I have a large source for particle board stickers and was wondering about the pros & cons of using this as fuel. I appriciate any and all advice. :?

ibby458
05-11-2006, 05:52 AM
I burned quite a bit of it last year. It sure did burn hot! Drawbacks were ungodly amounts of stinking black smoke that'll choke you to death, and it plugged my spark arrestor and sooted up the pans big time.

markcasper
05-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Since no one else has commented, maybe there is a good explanation. There is probably alot of syrup made with fuel as described above. Noone wants to admit it due to the chemicals and glue in such wood. Technically it is illegal to burn such wood, anything that is treated such as particle board and plywood.

I myself have burned some of this before and does make for a good fire, but I do not go out of my way as I don't like the odor that you get in the sugarhouse. We are making a pure product and one must really ask themseleves how would this look to the consumer? What would they say? I have heard of people burning tires and shingles too, but this does not give the industry a good image in my opinion. We are not making shine in the back 40!

If it works for you that is fine, just remeber the big brother that may or may not be watching, the DNR or EPA. With everyone having cell phones nowdays, one must watch their footprints well. Mark

Fred Henderson
05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Think about the health issues of you own family, friends etc.