PDA

View Full Version : aux gas tank ?

ejmaple
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
I'am looking for some sugestions on either adding a larger gas tank or coupling an aux. tank to the stock unit on my 5hp honda. really don't want to spend much as this pump and homemade releaser has already bent me over. I do have a 2.5 gal gas tank off an old dirt bike. I guess I'am wondering if you can have the aux tank higher than the stock tank and or the fuel pump.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I'am looking for some sugestions on either adding a larger gas tank or coupling an aux. tank to the stock unit on my 5hp honda. really don't want to spend much as this pump and homemade releaser has already bent me over. I do have a 2.5 gal gas tank off an old dirt bike. I guess I'am wondering if you can have the aux tank higher than the stock tank and or the fuel pump.WE have a 5.5hp. honda that we put a 5 gal. gas tank on, so we only had to fill it once a day. Hooked it directly into the carb. It is slightly higher than the gas tank on the motor, sitting on a platform right next to the motor.

shane hickey
02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I have the same thing but i wired it up to a saw horse the pump runs 20 hours before it runs out of gas

maple flats
02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
I do the same on my 2 Hondas. I bought some 4.5 gal generator replacement tanks (were $18.99 last year) from a company called "Surplus Center" I have a wooden frame next to each vacuum pump, maybe 6-8+ higher than the carborator on the engine, and a rubber gas line feeds the gas in. On my 6.5 HP Hondas I get between 14-18 hrs run time (1 motor runs bigger pump) I removed the original gas tanks and feed the gas line where the original went, then it goes over to the larger tank. I just checked, they don't have those tanks at this time but do have a 4 gal different shaped one. You can however use the dirt bike tank if that size will be OK. Just build a sturdy wooden frame that it stable, the support the tank. I made mine out of PT lumber on the bottom, but just hemlock up higher. Mine are attached directly to the pump support pallets

tstew
02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Another thing that works nice is the 15 gal plastic barels that farmers get chlorine and cleaners in. If you know one they will usually give you one when empty. Then I went to the small engine shop and got a bulkhead fitting and shut of valve for $10. Drill hole install fitting and line to carb on motor. Mine works good I can run my 9 hp briggs for couple days on it. Just have to place tank above motor so it gravity feeds.