PDA

View Full Version : Ball valves?

eustis22
02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I just ordered my first stainless steel pan and it comes without fittings. I gather I need to order a couple of ball valves and a thermometer but my question is this: what do I connect to the other end of the ball valve? copper tubing? threaded pipe? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated

DonMcJr
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I've got a MIP Copper Adapter and Copper Pipe and a 90. Used Pipe Tape and made sure it was only on the threads. So far no problems. Go easy on the Flux and flush it good with hot water cause I know when I pipe a house with copper you can smell the flux for a little while after the water is turned on. Not toxic but might give syrup an off flavor so that's why I flush it good!

eustis22
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
so there's soldering?

DonMcJr
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
If you use Copper, yes. If you don't know hour to Solder Copper you could use all threaded Stainless Steel fittings or Possibly all threaded Brass Fittings.

Ren
02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I like stainless fittings. So I would buy a stainless ball valve, nipple(have to determine length) and elbow. If cost is a issue. I would buy lead free brass fittings. All these would be threaded fittings so no soldering involved!

eustis22
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Ok...I'm not a plumber so the soldering would be a Last Resort kinda thing...I believe the pan fittings are, indeed, threaded...

Ren
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I would imagine that your pans will have a half coupling welded on the side. One will be for your syrup draw off and one for a thermometer. I don't think soldering would be necessary.

maple flats
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Just another reason I like my new pans by Thor, Quebec, Canada. They have all valves already there. I have 2 x 1" SS ball valves with a spout welded onto a male adapter, also SS. The only part I had to buy was the drain valve for the flues pan.

Bruce L
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I found stainless steel ball valves,nipples,hose adapters etc last year on ebay at substantial savings compared to the big box stores

Paul VT
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
I recently was F W Webb and stainless fittings were actually less expensive then lead free brass. I like SS fittings. When using SS fittings there is a different Teflon tape for them. It is gray in color.

backyard sugaring
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Paul, I agree with you about Webb. They were half the price I could find anywhere. Lee