PDA

View Full Version : Fire board only outside of firebox?

marktripp
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
I just picked up my 1 inch fireboard and the gentleman told me that Firebrick was for protection of the board only in the firebox area?

eustis22
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
The way I have mine set up is the fireboard is against each inside side wall, then the space is lined with firebrick

jmayerl
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Firebrick does not offer very much thermal protection. It is used in fireboxes and sometime in the entire evaporator.

marktripp
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I had planned on lining the whole thing with board then brick. He said it was not necessary to do the while thing in brick. Just the area that the wood would be to touching.

eustis22
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I only have my arch board against the inside side walls, not against the flue or the door or the floor

now, in typing that, I wonder how much heat I am losing thru the non archboard sections

mapleack
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Definitely right, you only need to brick the firebox where wood will be.

marktripp
02-22-2013, 07:44 AM
So if I'm gaining to insulating factor from the brick, just durability then will just a metal facing protecting the board work? Like the upper row in this picture?

lpakiz
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
It was explained to me that all metal surfaces need protection from the flames and heat. Either insulation or bricks or both. I am finishing up an Intensofire and only have bricks in the firebox area. Blanket goes all the way back. Brick or blanket needs to go all the way to the top and under the top rail. Again to protect the underside of the top rail..Someone suggested to stuff the last bit of space under the rail with loose blanket bits.

marktripp
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
It was explained to me that all metal surfaces need protection from the flames and heat. Either insulation or bricks or both. I am finishing up an Intensofire and only have bricks in the firebox area. Blanket goes all the way back. Brick or blanket needs to go all the way to the top and under the top rail. Again to protect the underside of the top rail..Someone suggested to stuff the last bit of space under the rail with loose blanket bits.

I have all exterior walls covered with fire board and was going to use firebrick to cover the board in the firebox area but was wondering if I could just cover to board with more metal?

lpakiz
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
The bare metal of your hold downs will not stand up very long with the intense heat. Not sure if stainless would be any better.