PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Question-Newbie

11BGUY
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
second boil yesterday in Granby,CT.. got about 90oz of syrup off 30-40 gallons of sap... possibly because the buckets were frozen and the sugar separated? I threw the ice out and poured the liquid in to my pan. Also, my first boil the syrup was done at approximately 219.6 on my digital therm.. This time I was at 220 and it still read kind of low on the hydrometer.. In fear of ruining my days work I bottled at 220 degrees and the syrup is definitely thinner than the first batch but still tastes awesome! Should I trust the hydrometer? This is my 1st year so I am trying to soak in all the knowledge

20 taps on buckets
cement block arch
2x2 roasting pan and one full size steam pan

happy thoughts
02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Most will tell you to go by the hydrometer but I would also check your thermometer and see what temp it reads in boiling water. Even assuming your thermometer is accurate, boiling point will vary by changes in the barometer and you will need to adjust your cooking temp accordingly to be 7-8 F above whatever your reading is for boiling water at the time you're making syrup.

Have fun and make lots of syrup:)

Ausable
02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
11BGUY - Sounds like You are doing great. I agree with happy thoughts - Use the Thermometer for Ball Park. But - I would trust the Syrup Hydrometer over the thermometer. Yep - sometimes even a hydrometer has problems - but - not very often. You did very good. Turning out a good product right from the start. I played cheap and didn't have a syrup hydrometer for several years and turned out substandard maple syrup. Since I now use a hydrometer my maple syrup is great - lol - in my opinion. Takes the guesswork out of syrup making. Have a Great Sugarin Season. -----Mike-----

Russell Lampron
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
second boil yesterday in Granby,CT.. got about 90oz of syrup off 30-40 gallons of sap... possibly because the buckets were frozen and the sugar separated? I threw the ice out and poured the liquid in to my pan. Also, my first boil the syrup was done at approximately 219.6 on my digital therm.. This time I was at 220 and it still read kind of low on the hydrometer.. In fear of ruining my days work I bottled at 220 degrees and the syrup is definitely thinner than the first batch but still tastes awesome! Should I trust the hydrometer? This is my 1st year so I am trying to soak in all the knowledge

20 taps on buckets
cement block arch
2x2 roasting pan and one full size steam pan

Barometric pressure will determine what the boiling point is on any given day. On long boiling sessions it can change during a boil too. Trust your hydrometer to get the density right. Don't bump your hydrometer or let it bounce off of the bottom of the hydrometer cup. The paper can slide making the reading incorrect. I use an Accu Cup so and the chart that comes with it so that I can get the density correct at any temp. I also have my hydrometers tested every year so that I can correct the reading if needed.