PDA

View Full Version : Firebrick Attachment

Spartazoo
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Trying to finish up my oil tank arch so I can get cooking this weekend. How does everyone attach firebrick to the sides of their arch? Is there some kind of adhesive or mortar that works? Or do they just set in there?

Frantically trying to finish this thing up.

Thanks in advance.

chasesugarbush
02-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I did mine 2 weeks ago in the sub freezing temps I used the mortar in a caulk tube, put it on fairly thick and then I fired up to set the mortar all locked together not going any were good luck it worked for me. Got it at menards.

eustis22
02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I think you need refractory cement. I am not sure what temps it will cure in...might ask the dealer you buy it from....I lined the whole firebox with firebrick and faced my sand arch with them too, then added sand over them. I do know they recommend lighting a fire to set the cement. Good luck

garyp
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I have seen people drill holes in the brick and then bolt them in ;if that helps

marktripp
02-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I was going to use angle iron on a downward 90 for every row but if everyone else is getting by with just refractory cement I might go this route!

Spartazoo
02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I went to the concrete supplier and they had a product for high-temp brick installation called Heat Stop. It's premixed and ready to go, i will be bricking tonight and hopefully ready to cook by Sunday. Thanks for all the reply's.

maple flats
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I did mine with refractory cement. When done, do not let freeze until dry. I placed a flood lamp in mine for 2 days, covered the arch with plywood, then I put the pans on,put 2" water in the pans and started a fire. The first fire was only about 1/2 arm load and I kept the air open only enough to keep it burning, adding a little wood abouit every half hour. Then I drained the the pans, threw a blanket over, put the light back in and came back the next day. Then I again added water and started another fire, about 2x as hot as the first day. I ran that for several hours, let it burn out, drained the pans and awaited my first sap run. The bricks looked good.
When I added my AOF manifold I did it in warmer weather. just put a medium fire in for 1 day (water in pans). Then I waited for the season to arrive several months later. I have had a few chips or small chunks come loose from time to time. For those I just refractory mortar them and fire it normally when I have sap. They usually adhere that way, for small patches.

marktripp
02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
So this is how I'm doing it, overkill I'm sure but this allows me to take the brick out to move this monstrosity! 6938

Ohio Maple Blaster
02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
We use that heat stop that spartazoo was talking about in all of the outdoor fireplaces/pizza ovens etc. that we build, and it works really well.