PDA

View Full Version : connecting moisture trap

ldick
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
I just received a Lappierre moisture trap but I am unfamiliar with the fittings on it. They appear to be 2" and have an o-ring. I assume this is for some kind of "slip" connection however none of the 2" PVC fittings I have tried are "deep" enough to reach/cover the o-ring. Can someone tell me what type of connector is needed to plumb the trap?

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I just received a Lappierre moisture trap but I am unfamiliar with the fittings on it. They appear to be 2" and have an o-ring. I assume this is for some kind of "slip" connection however none of the 2" PVC fittings I have tried are "deep" enough to reach/cover the o-ring. Can someone tell me what type of connector is needed to plumb the trap?I have the same humidity trap and ran into the same issue. I used a fernco on both sides of trap. They work fine. Neil

mapleack
02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Can you post a pic or measurements? Alternatively call your dealers, there should be no reason to have to jury-rig a new piece of equipment.

ennismaple
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Take the moisture trap in to your local hardware store. That way you know you're getting the right parts. We typically use a slip "T" on the pump side so we can put a vacuum breaker on the top side of the T. On the releaser side we put a slip fitting that gets reduced down to connect to the releaser. I thought I had a picture of this setup (we use 4 of them, inlcuding one new one we just hooked up on Monday) but I can't find it.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Alot of the new releasers now have a 2" manifold, as does mine, so there is no need to reduce down to the releaser. I ran 2" from trap to releaser. As for o-ring on trap, it is back about 1 1/8" and 2" pvc only has 3/4" collar. Ferncos are a quick connection and very easy to unhook. We have never had one leak on a vac. setup.

mapleack
02-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Ok I understand the problem now. Flow type pvc fittings have the short collars and bigger radius for liquid flow. The traps and releasers are made to work with pressure style fittings, which have a much deeper seat collar and a tighter radius.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
6937 ldick, This is how I installed the humidity trap on our newest vac. set-up; if that helps.Neil

ldick
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Can you post a pic or measurements? Alternatively call your dealers, there should be no reason to have to jury-rig a new piece of equipment.

Here is picture.

ldick
02-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Great picture thanks. I'll probably do something like that.