PDA

View Full Version : Pipe from vacuum pump to releaser?

dhuntley2
02-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi everyone we just bought two new double mechanical releasers and I am confused on how to pipe the releaser to the vacuumm pump. What do you use, a flex hose or pipe it in with PVC ? Is it better to use a bigger pipe the nipple coming off the releaser is 1 1/4. Also since you have to disconnect this pipe to clean your releaser how do you keep it tight so air does not leak?

ejmaple
02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
I would use 1.5'' or better pvc then reduce it at releaser nipple. for cleaning or removal of extractor use a union close to the reducer.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Hi everyone we just bought two new double mechanical releasers and I am confused on how to pipe the releaser to the vacuumm pump. What do you use, a flex hose or pipe it in with PVC ? Is it better to use a bigger pipe the nipple coming off the releaser is 1 1/4. Also since you have to disconnect this pipe to clean your releaser how do you keep it tight so air does not leak?What brand of releaser is it? most have a stub with a black o-ring on the top to seal. Either 1.5" fitting or 2" fitting pvc.(coupling, elbow, etc.) will fit over them. It should have a o-ring on top so you can just slip on and off whatever size diameter your pipe is.

dhuntley2
02-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Its a lapierre And it does have that o ring like you say. So I just come off that and use whatever I want to get to my pump?

spud
02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone we just bought two new double mechanical releasers and I am confused on how to pipe the releaser to the vacuumm pump. What do you use, a flex hose or pipe it in with PVC ? Is it better to use a bigger pipe the nipple coming off the releaser is 1 1/4. Also since you have to disconnect this pipe to clean your releaser how do you keep it tight so air does not leak?

You need to go from vacuum pump to moisture trap first. I used 3 inch PVC pipe from vacuum pump to trap and then 3 inch PVC pipe to the releaser. You will have to down size right at the releaser to 2 inch so it will slip on the releaser nipple that has the o-ring gasket. If you use smaller PVC pipe from vacuum to releaser you could cut your CFMs in half by the time you get to the releaser. Cornell has a story on this (Steve Childs) wrote it.

Spud

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Its a lapierre And it does have that o ring like you say. So I just come off that and use whatever I want to get to my pump? If you use pvc fittings, then a coupling or elbow will slide over that o-ring and create the vac. seal. Just make sure you grease the o-ring first, so the fitting slides over it easier. I would use pvc from releaser to pump( 1.5" or 2"-whatever is easier).

dhuntley2
02-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Thank you for your help

unc23win
02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Do you guys use a Furnco or felxible fitting anywhere so you can take it off if needed?

mapleack
02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Just a threaded union or cam lock quick connect.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Do you guys use a Furnco or felxible fitting anywhere so you can take it off if needed?We use alot of ferncos on our vac. systems. They do work well and hold vac. fine.

unc23win
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks Walling's you dont have any trouble with them collapsing too much? I was thinking about trying one in the place of a couplar so that way if I needed to take it apart I could easily make the pipe two pieces rather than one. I am not sure how much you can get the pvc to move once it is all glued into place.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks Walling's you dont have any trouble with them collapsing too much? I was thinking about trying one in the place of a couplar so that way if I needed to take it apart I could easily make the pipe two pieces rather than one. I am not sure how much you can get the pvc to move once it is all glued into place. Just keep the 2 pieces of pvc tight together and you won't have any trouble with collapsing.

unc23win
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks I will try that tonight.

GeneralStark
02-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Just keep the 2 pieces of pvc tight together and you won't have any trouble with collapsing.

I second that. We use ferncos as well on high vacuum and they work well.

ennismaple
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
We used to use flex hose and it will eventually collapse. 2" or 3" PVC works best.

maple flats
02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I have a Fernco off the moisture trap joining the moisture trap to the vacuum line (PVC), from there 2" PVC runs to the releaser. My pumps are only 30 and 50 CFM, if larger you need a bigger line.

dhuntley2
02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
OK so I got everything for the pipe I am going to use a 3 inch pipe . Now is there a way to make my own moisture trap or where do I get one ?

Russell Lampron
02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
OK so I got everything for the pipe I am going to use a 3 inch pipe . Now is there a way to make my own moisture trap or where do I get one ?

I made my moisture trap out of 3" pvc and I use a Canadian street hockey ball to plug off the vacuum if it needs too. Wish I had a pic to post. It is a lot like the black one that CDL makes.

I use Fernco fittings and pvc to connect the trap to the releaser.

spud
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM

I would buy one from a maple dealer. They cost about $350.00 Yes you could make one (and people do) but just for ease I would buy one and be done with it.

Spud

Russell Lampron
02-22-2013, 05:31 AM
I would buy one from a maple dealer. They cost about $350.00 Yes you could make one (and people do) but just for ease I would buy one and be done with it.

Spud

The that I made cost me less than $30! CDL makes a similar one to mine and it is $168. I already had mine made before I saw the one by CDL so I didn't copy theirs. A smaller producer like myself may not have the funds available to buy the factory made units and the homemade one will work just as good as the factory made one.

jcb
02-24-2013, 04:49 AM
Any chance you could take a picture or maybe give a better discription of how you made it?

Thanks in advance

I made my moisture trap out of 3" pvc and I use a Canadian street hockey ball to plug off the vacuum if it needs too. Wish I had a pic to post. It is a lot like the black one that CDL makes.

I use Fernco fittings and pvc to connect the trap to the releaser.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Any chance you could take a picture or maybe give a better discription of how you made it?

Thanks in advance

I used a 2 1/2' long piece of 3" pvc pipe for the body. Standard caps and fittings on the ends. The bottom cap has a screw in cap to drain it. If you want to get fancy you can add a drain valve there. I didn't so that there would be fewer places for vacuum to leak. The elbow is 1 1/2" coming out of the side to the releaser. The top cap is a glue in reducing fitting that reduces to 1 1/2". I had to grind out the ridge inside of that to insert the 1 1/2" pipe that the ball get sucked up against. That pipe extends into the trap to about 3" below the outlet to the releaser. A Canadien street hockey ball works well for a float. Doesn't look so pretty because of the accident with the primer.

maple flats
02-24-2013, 06:39 AM
I made my moisture traps out of 4" PVC. I use a racket ball to stop vac if the unit fills up. I have the top fitting reduced to 1.5" to catch the ball, then immediately back to 2" to the pump. In 2 yrs it only had to stop the vac 1 time.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
I made my moisture traps out of 4" PVC. I use a racket ball to stop vac if the unit fills up. I have the top fitting reduced to 1.5" to catch the ball, then immediately back to 2" to the pump. In 2 yrs it only had to stop the vac 1 time.

The vacuum from the pump is 1 1/4" so I have reduced mine from 1 1/2" in and out to 1 1/4" in and out. My new releaser is huge and I could benefit from a larger vacuum line and pump. I only have had normal condensation in mine. Nothing to completely flood it yet.