PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take a tree to thaw ?

TwinBay
02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Tapping in Parry Sound- waiting till March 2nd
Past week has been -20 or better at night.
Early next week shows highs and low around 0 and -5.

Or should we tap this weekend just in case?
Buckets only-- 125 total

killingworthmaple
02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
I had the same question so I put a thermometer in a tree and the tree follows the air temp closely with a 1/2 day lag time.

jmayerl
02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Really depends alot on wind and sun in addition to temp

maple flats
02-21-2013, 05:01 AM
I had the same question so I put a thermometer in a tree and the tree follows the air temp closely with a 1/2 day lag time.
How deep in the tree did you test. The first 2 maybe 3" might warm rather quickly, but before I ever get great flows, indicating the whole tree has thawed it seems to take longer. For full thaw after a period of hard freeze I think it lags more like 4 or 5 days of 40+ days. More sun helps a lot to thaw. Another issue is "how cold is the tree to start?" I don't think there can be a simple answer, too many variables.

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2013, 06:12 AM
I don't think there can be a simple answer, too many variables.

That is exactly the case. Depends upon how cold the night was, how deep in the wood you measure, and, in some cases, the side of the tree. The fine branches tend to thaw fairly quickly. The wood a few inches deep will thaw fairly quickly if it warms up a good bit or (on the south side) if the sun is really shining. Deeper in the wood, or on the north side, it can take days to completely thaw.

Mark
02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Is the tree met going to be up this year?

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Is the tree met going to be up this year?

No, it will not be operating. Tim Wilmot has too many other research projects ongoing. Was good while it lasted.

killingworthmaple
02-22-2013, 05:54 AM
The tree I tested is about 16 inches and the themometer was in 4-5 inches. I am in CT and the trees may not be as cold to begin with as some northern areas. But we did get in the teens, all I can say is what I observed this tree followed the air temp with about 1/2 day lag time. That said I would go with what Dr. Perkins said he has more sience behind him I just did it for fun.

Nathan